Port Hacking - Choppers And Frigates

Nook

G'day guys,

Got out for a few hours on Port Hacking this arvo looking for some more surface stuff and hoping to bump into the frigates for the first time this year.

Sure enough after doing a bit of scouting around we found a big school of whitebait hemmed into a little bay at the entrance of north-west arm. First four casts produced four keeper tailor and the fifth a nice little frigate.

Wasn't quite as thick and fast as that for the rest of the time but we ended up catching about 30 tailor and three frigates. Most of the tailor were only choppers in the 30-35cm range but still good fun spinning on light gear - it's a great way to fish. Kept the ones that were bleeding when they were boated and let the majority go to fight another day.

Hopefully the frigates hang around, geez they're good fun.

Guest IFishSick.

Leaving for the Hacking right now mate, wish me luck

Just got back, not much to report.

Caught a squid........................... and for about 3 hours threw GULP 4" Minnows at the Frigate Mackerel which would pass by every now and again. Couldn't get a hit except for the leather jacket which bit my lure in half. The other half was spent burleying and floating pillies, prawns and squid for naught.

A guy next to me managed to land a Frigate on a 40g Raider.

Must try those ZOOM's

Edited by IFishSick.

Just got back, not much to report.

Caught a squid........................... and for about 3 hours threw GULP 4" Minnows at the Frigate Mackerel which would pass by every now and again. Couldn't get a hit except for the leather jacket which bit my lure in half. The other half was spent burleying and floating pillies, prawns and squid for naught.

A guy next to me managed to land a Frigate on a 40g Raider.

Must try those ZOOM's

How annoying are the frigates sometimes?

I got lucky yesterday with a tiny little (5-10g) metal lure but the number of times I've been standing at a jetty going through every lure in my tackle box to no avail is ridiculous.

Plenty of whitebait in the Port at the moment so I think the little metal jobs are the best bet.

Guest IFishSick.

Yeah lots of Whitebait around, the ZOOM's that Luringbream used were in green and a whitebait colour too and he got a stack of em. So maybe the whitebait colour could get them to come on the ibte.

It's annoying watching them hit the bait at the surface when your lure goes through the middle of them though.

One time they went past they were jumping out of the water hitting little insects on the surface. Then later some guys with fly gear came for about 5 mins then left.