Squid Jig Technique

Dano1

Hi All,

Was wanting some input to technique used to catch squid at the spit in sydney harbour, when drifting under the bridge early morning should i be using a padanosta style rig or are the squid up closer to the surface at this time and the weight of the jig be enough? Iam using 1.8 yozuris.

Thanks for any imput.

Dan.

Hi Dan,

It depends on how strong the current is , and if you are targeting Arrows or Southerns.

Arrows are more aggresive and swim in schools, so using multiple jigs imitates a bait school,

and will result in multiple hook ups if your lucky.

Southern squid during the day are an ambush predator, but at night and at the top and bottom of the tides

will actively hunt for prey. I'd use a single jig for Southern squid as multiple jigs would more than likely spook a solitary squid - pro's generally use single jigs for southern squid, and multiple jigs on a jigging

machine for arrow/pelagic squid

I would target arrows at the spit at the top/bottom of the tides with a single jig casting at structures into where the light hits the water and retrieve it into a unlit section of water. If the tide is moving use a paternoster rig to get it down the water column while drifting.

If your after southern squid, target them at first light in the shallower water (where you can see the bottom) around the kelp/ribbon weed beds and around broken bottom, later in the day fish the same type of bottom

but in deeper water.

Jason

Hi Dan,

It depends on how strong the current is , and if you are targeting Arrows or Southerns.

Arrows are more aggresive and swim in schools, so using multiple jigs imitates a bait school,

and will result in multiple hook ups if your lucky.

Southern squid during the day are an ambush predator, but at night and at the top and bottom of the tides

will actively hunt for prey. I'd use a single jig for Southern squid as multiple jigs would more than likely spook a solitary squid - pro's generally use single jigs for southern squid, and multiple jigs on a jigging

machine for arrow/pelagic squid

I would target arrows at the spit at the top/bottom of the tides with a single jig casting at structures into where the light hits the water and retrieve it into a unlit section of water. If the tide is moving use a paternoster rig to get it down the water column while drifting.

If your after southern squid, target them at first light in the shallower water (where you can see the bottom) around the kelp/ribbon weed beds and around broken bottom, later in the day fish the same type of bottom

but in deeper water.

Jason

Thanks for the detailed reply

I will put this into practise, Ii am targeting southern squid so will try the paternoster rig at the spit if to much current.

Thanks Jason

Dan.

Edited by johnno