Hawkesbury 15th To 22nd

riders

Well just a quick report for fellow raiders on my week up the hawkesbury.

Base camp was on danger island which made it easy to go in all directions.

1st 3 days fished flint & steel in the morning for plenty of reddies at 25cm, school sharks in abundance to 80cm, some WTF i dont now what they are but unfortunately no keepers.

Night time was bream fishing on the vines and wobby for about 1/2 dozen bream to 28cm each night.

The elusive jews never came on the chew, although I did catch a couple on the drift near middle bank but they were only 45cm.

Last few days did the drift from lion island to juno for 3 to 4 flathead each day with the best going 65cm

A couple of flounder thrown in as well made it all worth while.

In all some lean times up the hawkesbury but we did end up with a feed to bring home and I was not a work.

One thing i must say is that there is a lot of boats up the hawkesbury on the weekends and weekdays but I dont see many posts in here as to how the boys go.

Come on raiders lets us know how you are traveling.

cheers :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Hey Riders

Seeing as you ask, I was on the Hawkesbury today with my Dad in a hired tinnie. Didn't have a chance to gather bait. So got some nippers and worms from Fishfinder (Thanks Tony).

We accumulated a feed of bream and whiting. One very good whiting, one average bream, the rest just legal with plenty of throwbacks. Most fish caught by my Dad who finally kicked my arse!

Quality time on NSW's most beautiful river. Would love to get among the bigger bream. But what a great day anyway.

The feed....post-2824-1172228931_thumb.jpg

Was out there for a couple of days early in the week.

Got a good mixed bag off West head, including snapper, bream and trevally for the table.

Also caught pike eels, hammerhead sharks, a couple of squid and an undersized jew

Riders - Saw you at the boat ramp on Wednesday, i was in the other quintrex getting ready to go back home

Was out there for a couple of days early in the week.

Got a good mixed bag off West head, including snapper, bream and trevally for the table.

Also caught pike eels, hammerhead sharks, a couple of squid and an undersized jew

Riders - Saw you at the boat ramp on Wednesday, i was in the other quintrex getting ready to go back home

Knew the boat name rang a bell, but i was just out of it after a week of little sleep.

Next time we'll have to have a chat.

Thinking about it saw you at gunyah on tuesday morning too

cheers

we have been fishing the hawkesbury harder than ever this year and im seriously concerned. in years gone by it was nothing to catch a couple of nice schoolies but this year is an absolute shocker, all we can catch are tons of eels, pj's, and shovelnose. i still love the river and will never stop trying for that big boy but its getting tough to stay motivated. i notice a massive drop in the numbers of fish cleaned at the ramp and just speaking to people suggests everyone is doing it tough.

whats going on?

Edited by jewnut

we have been fishing the hawkesbury harder than ever this year and im seriously concerned. in years gone by it was nothing to catch a couple of nice schoolies but this year is an absolute shocker, all we can catch are tons of eels, pj's, and shovelnose. i still love the river and will never stop trying for that big boy but its getting tough to stay motivated. i notice a massive drop in the numbers of fish cleaned at the ramp and just speaking to people suggests everyone is doing it tough.

whats going on?

4 words come to mind....

COMMERCIAL FISHING, NETS and TRAWLING.......

whats going on?

Everyone you talk too says the same thing, I've fished the hawkesbury for over 30 years and this is from far doubt the worst ever year.

On the bright side there is only 3 days to go and El neano is over, so with the prospect of some good rains, hopefully a flood in the hawkesbury and better currents off shore we will start to get some decent fishing back.

cheers

i agree on the rain front mate, a good flood will hopefully put some life back into the meighty hawkesbury. we fished all day yesterday at gunyah and juno with live yakkas, tailor frigate and fresh squid for 1 shovelnose :thumbdown: not uncommon for us this year.

whats going on?

Can remember fishing the Hawkesbury with my Dad 40 years ago, bait shop prawns, a little Jarvis Walker boat rod with a Bakelite foregrip and a very early model Roddy eggbeater. Allways got a bagfull of school jew, bream & flatties. Bit of shame its not like that anymore and cant help feeling guilty after having enjoyed the Hawkesbury in better times.

Hopefully it will recover one day, its "the" best place to chill out & fish.

John

4 words come to mind....

COMMERCIAL FISHING, NETS and TRAWLING.......

I'm sure you're right. I was reading a post here last week that talked about 6 commercial boats trawling up past Juno. There was I with a mate sitting there all night last Friday a week ago for next to nothing, not having realised that the place had been cleaned out the previous day.

I understand these guys have to make a living but do they really have to come up the river?

Mysterythecat