Late Report Sydney Harbour

Blood Knot

post-99-1172273498_thumb.jpgGot out early Thursday morning (5am).

Spent the best part of the day down rigging squid off the newly fitted downrigger. Towed that lead ball all over the harbour and up through the middle Harbour. Sounded some bait balls with good solid arches hanging around near moorings in Middle Harbour but no luck. Pretty dismal morning, tried trolling lures, and casting flys at the odd surface boils I came across but could not bend a rod for love nor money.

Headed out of middle harbour towards home after some 7 hours of marine depression and getting low on fuel. Ended up stopping at Clifton gardens to throw a sluggo at the big white floating thing in front of the Naval facility. 10 casts later pulled a Taylor that went about 40 cm

Anchored up and optimistically put the tailor down as a livie. No takes on that, so in an effort to entertain myself pulled up the tailor and took a little fillet off him and baited up the flick stick.

Of course 20 seconds later the little #1000 size Stradic is screaming. Got a Kingy up to the boat. but with the small amount of drag I had at my disposal every time I flailed the net in the water it would scream off towards the bottom again. Repeated this proceedure six times before the fish and net were united.

Things now looking decidedly better after what could be best described as bloody slow day. One 62 cm King in the Esky :thumbup: and a Taylor (minus a 40 long cm fillet from its side).

More Taylor baits lowered over the side on the heavy gear as well and yep off goes the little Stardic again. No chance on this Kingy - straight to the bottom and busted off :ranting2: Spent another 30 mins there for two nice Bream and a good flattie joining the Kingy in the esky.

Got home to clean up fish, boat and tackle in the pouring rain, bit like my early morning luck had returned.

Kingfish for dinner last night and was delicious.

John

Edited by Blood Knot

Good end to a slow day :thumbup:

landing that king on the little 1000 reel is tops! :1yikes:

Its pretty funny now that I think about it. Went out with a new Saltist O/head rod & reel combo + new down rigger and end up catching a king on the little flick stick I put in the boat to toss squid jigs around with.

It would have been nice to have blooded the new gear on its first trip out (would sort of justify the spend too) but on reflection it was probably a better sporting experience to get a decent fish on the light gear.

Just goes to show I guess, that you dont have to spend a fortune on gear to enjoy fishing, but it sure gives you a bit more confidence when a big one comes along.

John