Top Ender For Breamin Etc

Enviro Fish

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can relay their experiences (good or bad) about breaming out of a top ender style boat.

Considering a future purchase and am feeling a little hesitant about precision casting and controlling (with an electric) off a deck that is not at a level with the gunnels.

Don't get me wrong I am still working on the precision casting thing but do they allow you the same freedom around morred boats etc as the flatter style bream boats?

Thanks

Matt

Some will say that the sides are too high as they prefer to be much closer to the water level without high gunnels getting in the way....however i like the topender style with the added security of the high gunnels incase you are in rough seas or want to chase big kings offshore or something

Cheers

Matt it comes down to what you will be doing more of.

I bought a stacer Pro Tour Elite a few years back only because i knew id be fishing for bream and bass more than heading to the heads for kingies, that saying i do still use the boat for kingies and samlon but just on calmer days.

You have answered most of your questions in your post.

Matt, I have a 480 Topender and very happy with it. It is a great compromise especially given that I like to get my kids out on the water as much as I can. It is very capable of towing the kids behind on a biscuit, handles the chop well and is a surprisingly dry boat.

95% of it's use though has been for chasing bream and I have no issues with casting and controlling the electric. I have used this boat to compete in the squidy's series this year as well as the summer series.

Criticisms of the boat:

The main thing I would change is the rear deck. I plan to build and install a removable rear casting deck with fold down seats and possibly a livewell in the rear.

The standard livewell is OK, but it leaks all over the front deck in the chop. 2 weekends ago when we did the run back from Hawkesbury into pittwater we lost half of the water from the well. I have seen some mods that others have done, so this is not a major problem.

1 thing I would recommend is to get the largest electric you can. The dealer tried to sell me a 55lb but I settled for a 24V 74lb motor - remember that the sides are higher and they do catch the wind.

If you want to take a look or come out for a fish in it sometime drop me a PM.

cheers, greg