Boat Tilting

majed1965

Hi,

I have a 15ft V150 Nautiglass Cuddy Cab. Hull and outboard are in excellent condition.

I am only new to boating. Took my kids out for the 2nd time today on Georges River. A bit of wind and water a bit choppy.

Boat was quick getting up on the plane. It would lift a lot from the front, so i trimmed it a bit.

When the water is calm, it runs steady as a rock.

I am having trouble keeping it level when i am cruising along when there are waves or other boats beside me. The boat seems to lean to one side. I slow down cause i am worried about tipping over.

This is annoying as i then have to get the boat back on the plane. This happenned all day.

Maybe i am not controlling the boat right or am a bit scared of tipping over. Or maybe i am not hitting the water correctly or something else? Please assist....Thanks.

Mate its a pretty common question for new boaties. What you will find is that on a windy day the boat will handle very differently. If the wind is hitting your boat from the side your boat will tend to 'list' or lean into the direction the wind is coming from. The reason is that the wind is actually blowing your boat to one side and you will naturally try to keep it straight and by doing so you will be turning the steeing wheel and holding the boat aginst the wind. Doing so will make it lean. Its like turning into a corner but your actually going straight cause the wind is fighting the boat. Hope that makes sense.

Next time it happens switch direction and the effect should be opposite.

It can be a scary feeling, and when the wind is bad you just need to go slow and keep the boat under controll.

Hi,

I did experiment with the trim, same thing. The load was evenly shared along the boat. It seemed to tilt to thw right side. I checked the tilt setting at the engine, it it was set at the last notch towards the boat. Not sure if this is correct, but this is how it was when i bought it. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

It turned out my inexperience with handling the boat the reason for the tilting. I am getting better and better with more trips and can safely say that it no longer tilts. So thanks for all your input.

I suppose the old saying, practice makes perfect is correct.

I promise to take some pics of the boat and post this week.

Now all i need to do is practice at catching more fish.

I was over trimming it and as such the boat would tilt to one side.

I tried it a few times not trimming it manually when i pushed the throttle and it went fine.

Then i started to trim it a bit and it also went fine.

What i was doing wrong was basically trimming the engine too far up. Thanks.

I was over trimming it and as such the boat would tilt to one side.

I tried it a few times not trimming it manually when i pushed the throttle and it went fine.

Then i started to trim it a bit and it also went fine.

What i was doing wrong was basically trimming the engine too far up. Thanks.

Glad you've got it sorted Majed...won't be long and you'll be giving other people boating advice! :thumbup: