Downriggers

GrantHarris

Good Morning.

I have recently purchased a 1050 Depthmaster and I am now considering the best mounting option. I don't want to permanently fix it so am considering either a Gimbal mount or a rail mount.

I have a Haines Signature 520c and it has gunwhale rails on port and starboard on the inside of the gunwhale that can be used to mount bbq's and other things.

I would like to use the Scotty 1027 rail mount so as not to use up one of my rod holders but I am not sure if the 520c rails will accommodate the 1027 mount and I can't find any store that has them in stock.

Could someone please share with me their experiences with a rail mount or direct me to a store in Sydney that might have one in stock so that I can look at it.

Thanks in advance for what I have no doubt will be all of your useful insights and knowledge.

Cheers

i FULLY recommend getting a SWIVEL mount..

they have 16 lockable positions and are VERY strong, and are portable from boat to boat...

i will take a pic of mine for u to give u a better idea...

cheers steve

Thanks Steve I look forward to your posting it - I hadn't considered this option.

Cheers

Mate as Steve has said the swivel mount is probably the best mounting system for them, Good because you can adjust where they sit, especially if your pulling up to a wharf because you can turn it to sit inside your boat.

If you pay Tony a visit from Fishfinder im sure he will be able to run you through the various different mounts available as he sells scotty stuff and he will also be able to recommend the best mount for your situation.

Mate as Steve has said the swivel mount is probably the best mounting system for them, Good because you can adjust where they sit, especially if your pulling up to a wharf because you can turn it to sit inside your boat.

If you pay Tony a visit from Fishfinder im sure he will be able to run you through the various different mounts available as he sells scotty stuff and he will also be able to recommend the best mount for your situation.

Netic, that is a point I hadn't even thought about. I will give Tony a call. Thank you for the advice.

Good Morning.

I have recently purchased a 1050 Depthmaster and I am now considering the best mounting option. I don't want to permanently fix it so am considering either a Gimbal mount or a rail mount.

I have a Haines Signature 520c and it has gunwhale rails on port and starboard on the inside of the gunwhale that can be used to mount bbq's and other things.

I would like to use the Scotty 1027 rail mount so as not to use up one of my rod holders but I am not sure if the 520c rails will accommodate the 1027 mount and I can't find any store that has them in stock.

Could someone please share with me their experiences with a rail mount or direct me to a store in Sydney that might have one in stock so that I can look at it.

Thanks in advance for what I have no doubt will be all of your useful insights and knowledge.

Cheers

Grant-

Just finished mounting my new 1050 on one of the side rails, will post a pic and hope it helps, ended up using the bases of two old rod holders (minus the bit that actually held the rod) and machined a piece of plastic to form a base on which to mount the d/rigger slide base. Allows me to undo the locking knobs and tilt it inboard if needed. Added new stainless flush mount rod holder and all seems to work well - though only had one test out on the water. Maybe some critique from fishraider down rigging gurus would help us both when I put the pic up.

John

Edited by Blood Knot

Grant-

Just finished mounting my new 1050 on one of the side rails, will post a pic and hope it helps, ended up using the bases of two old rod holders (minus the bit that actually held the rod) and machined a piece of plastic to form a base on which to mount the d/rigger slide base. Allows me to undo the locking knobs and tilt it inboard if read. Added new stainless flush mount rod holder and all seems to work well - though only had one test out on the water. Maybe some critique from fishraider down rigging gurus would help us both when I put the pic up.

John

Thanks John - I'll look forward to seeing the pic.

Cheers

Just an update on the mounting saga. I discovered by accident that the Scotty rail mount can only be used on rails that sit ON TOP of the gunwhale. Because mine are flush mounted on the inside I have 2 constraints. The 1st is that there is no clearance between the rail and the cutaway of the gunwhale for the tightening lugs and the second is that there is no way to brace the mount for the qweight of the downrigger with a piece of wood.

Now thanks to a few contributors on this site I went with the gimbal mount which sits in the flushmounted rod holders on the boat. I had to replace the plastic holders with stainless steel ones (no problem there) and opted for the mount with the 9 inch shaft which locks into the pin at the base of the rod holder and clears the top by about 10mm.

I'll post a picture up here for everyone to see.

Cheers and many thanks to all the suggestions and the help.