Battery Size

out n about

hey fellow raiders,

i was wondering if some fellow raiders would be able to give me some advice on battery size's. im currently running just a standard size battery dont know the specific's (sorry) but i have 4.2m quinnie powered by a 35hp (if that helps determine the battery size i have) to start up the boat, nav lights and fish finder on my ... if i were to add an a radio 27mhz would i be draining too much power from the battery? would i need to upgrade to a bigger battery? will my engine be able to recharge the battery??

Thanks

Dave

hey fellow raiders,

i was wondering if some fellow raiders would be able to give me some advice on battery size's. im currently running just a standard size battery dont know the specific's (sorry) but i have 4.2m quinnie powered by a 35hp (if that helps determine the battery size i have) to start up the boat, nav lights and fish finder on my ... if i were to add an a radio 27mhz would i be draining too much power from the battery? would i need to upgrade to a bigger battery? will my engine be able to recharge the battery??

Thanks

Dave

Dave the standard battery you are running will do the job with no problems.

Radio's draw very little amps and I wouldn't bother upgrading the battery, unless you added a few more things such as bilge pump/bait tank/amfm radio then I would consider installing a bigger battery.

I run a 15 plate single truck battery in my boat and run everything off that.

am/fm radio - 27meg - VHF - lights - bilge pump - bait tank - sounder - GPS.

I have never had a problem, check the water regularly, give it a trickle charge about once a month.

The trick with batteries is to use them, otherwise they go flat and plates collapse.

The other thing is to buy a quality battery.. not the rubbish out of China or those cheapies from Km%$t.

Nathan

Edited by njsconst

hi nathan,

thanks for the advice :)

i have a bilge pump connected but it is rarely used i mainly use the lights and fish finder....

i was contemplating also installing a sterio onboard but dont think ill have the space to do so...

i will keep it in mind and when i get the cash and time will go out and my the 27mhz and install it

once again thanks

G'day.

Only other issue is if you are boating of a night. Nav lights draw a fair emount of current over a period of the evening, especially if other style of deck lights are used too. If during the day, then it shouldn't be an issue at all. And as Nathan mentioned, two-ways draw bugger all..

Regards,

Pete.

hey pete,

when i go out for a fish i usually leave home at about 5ish... so i only every use the lights for about 2-3 hours max... as soon as there is enough light i turn them off :) but thanks for your advice cause it has got me think if it is worth while to upgrade to a bigger battery...

that brings me to my next question...

what size battery do you fellow raiders consider big enough to power: lights, fish finder, bilge pump, 27meg with out going flat so i have no problems starting up the 35hp engine and will my engine be able to recharge it???

Edited by out n about

It's quite unlikely an engine of that size will have a decent alternator. If anything, its probably doing bugger all unless you stay flat chat for atleast an hour or so. I have a single battery set up which covers my nav light, CD player, sounder and 27Mhz.. With the occasional use of the bilge. Nav lights are on for approx 3 hrs per trip untill the sun comes out, sounder+27mhz are on constantly. I have no issues with my battery and it can safely last me two trips although do knock it on the charger after ever run. Another possible idea is having a small Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery to power just your accessories, and charging that every few trips.. A 12V, 18AMP one should be sufficient to cover 3-5 trips, and just knock it on your car charger when you get home. Worst comes to the worse, those 18amp batteries are the ones commonly used in jump start packs, so it may even come in handy one day if *touch wood* there is an issue with yours/someone elses power.

Cheers,

Pete.

If you use your boat frequently , and your charging system is working OK , a standard battery should be sufficient for your needs. If , like myself , you prefer to err on the side of caution , run 2 batteries , with a 3 position switch , which allows you to run either battery 1 , 2 , or both.

The night before I take the boat out , I connect the batteries to the charger , and ensure they have a full charge , so , even if my charging system fails while I am out , I will still be able to start the boat.

As for power drain , I have a standard 12V marine battery , this provides ample power to run the nav lights , 27Meg radio , and the stereo all night. My mechanic explained that standard car batteries can be affected by the constant pounding whilst on the water . A marine battery can be had for around the same price as a normal car battery.

Ross

hey fellow's

i would like to thank you all for your advice in regard to the battery questions i have asked... you have all given me some good input as to what i should and shouldn't do and i know have got a rough idea as to what needs to be done :)

once again thanks heaps :)

Dave

P.S. if you guys every see me in the syd harbour or jervis bay just drive past and give me a shout :)

hey guys just a quick note for those who may not know this..

normal car/truck batteries arent really suitable for marine usage. this is because they are used for starting

motors and also a deep cycle purpose. a automotive battery there fore is really not suited. marine batteries

are designed as starting batteries and a deep cycle purpose, which means they are designed to have

massive discharge and then be recharged. the conctruction of marine batteries are normally absorbed glass

matt which makes the a hell of a lot stronger then any other automotive battery. a maitanence free battery

is also a much better option then a normal battery. also marine batteries will have a prefix of M ie M70zz or

for maitanance free MFM70zz.

cheers

T-Man