Rusting Tackle

stebobo

I have a tackle box with all my gear in it. Recently whan I wanted to go fishing I found that most of my gear was rusted for no obvious reason. It had no salt on it and I don't know how it happened. Does anyone know how to prevent this happening or why it happens?

With hooks, the best method is to spray them with olive oil.

That will keep them in pretty good nick.

Another good method is to get some silica gel...like the little packets you sometimes see

that come in electronic goods. This will absorb any moisture in the tackle box..make sure you change it every now and then as it will keep the moisture in the packets. if you can't find any silica gel..hardware stores and supermarkets sell a mold absorber in cans..wrap about a desert spoonfull in an old stocking and place that in the tackle box.

Cheers,

Pete.

What i normally do after each trip is wash all my hooks everything that could have been in contact with the saltair/water dry it off thorougly a quick spray with dw40/rp7 any sprays like this then back into the tackle box, the box is stored in my cupboard in my room, mum HATES seeing all the fishing gear in my room :1prop:

Where abouts is your tacklebox stored???

Also those silica gel packets can be found in new shoe boxes.

cheers james

What i normally do after each trip is wash all my hooks everything that could have been in contact with the saltair/water dry it off thorougly a quick spray with dw40/rp7 any sprays like this then back into the tackle box, the box is stored in my cupboard in my room, mum HATES seeing all the fishing gear in my room :1prop:

Where abouts is your tacklebox stored???

Also those silica gel packets can be found in new shoe boxes.

cheers james

i agree wd40 does the trick.

I put my tackle in those shallow boxes and then put em in my bag.

I just buy some sewing machine oil and give a good squirt into the different segments and give em a good shake, this coats the tackle and keeps em nice and shiny.

I havn't had any probs and you only have to do it every few trips as well, and sewing machine oil is pretty cheap and i also use a few drops on my drags and keeps them running sweet as well :)

If I can't leave the hooks in their original sealed plastic containers I put them into the little plastic film cannisters. You used to be able to heaps of these from photo processing places, but I don't know what their availability is like since the digital revolution.

mixing different metals will encourage rusting. make sure you keep different hook types and lures separated in your box.

do a search in the forums on wd40. you'll be interested in it's effect on fish.

• 3 weeks later...

try INOX mate. you can get it from almost anyhardware/auto store.

it doesn;t smell like WD40 or other sprays, the fish dont seem to mind it either.

it doesn;t cause problems with your line either like wd40.

and, yeah dont forget not to mix used and unsused takle together in one box....

talc powder with silica gel packs works well if you dont like oily residue.!

cheers mate,

Huey :biggrin2:

• 2 weeks later...