Forced To Crash My Car

adznapper

Hi all

On Monday I rode my car off this is what happened

I was driving south down shellhabour road in a 4 lane road approching a set of lights,when I noticed a semi truck on the inside lane with his hazard lights on.

When I reached the rear of the truck it started to turn, forcing me into the next lane,where another car was in , which was traveling at a much slower speed as it had just pulled out of a drive way who was also forced in to another lane

I couldnt stop I hit the car around 60 kmh in the rear, a young male jumped strait out of the car and reached into the back seat pulling out a 6 week old baby.

To cut along story short the baby was fine all involved was fine.

What realy pissed me off was the truck driver was actuly throwing a u turn at the set of lights and did not see me or the other car next to him,he watched everything that happend even seen the baby removed from the car and just kept driving.

Many witnesses seen what happened even 2 people chased the truck to get the number plate and cought up with the truck,Which was doing 120khm in a 70 k zone.

What a nice guy ha

You will get yours mate ,I have your Number plate-------

I have placed a VOODOOOOOO -- VOOODOOO spell on you

What sort of person drives away from that????????

Glad to hear that no one was hurt , vehicles can be repaired , but people .....

As a long distrance truck driver , I see this kind of thing frequently , not all of us are good drivers , I hope the long arm of the law grabs him , and grabs him hard !

Ross

I know how you feel. I got road raged by a guy in a semi who deliberately ran me into on coming traffic. Got his plate and gave it to the cops who checked it out and said plate didnt exist. Most truckies are excellent and some of the best drivers on the road, unfortunately you came across one who made a big mistake. Glad to hear you and all are OK. I was shaking for hours after my encounter. Keep cool go fishing and let the cops do their job.

Cheers

Without being there I can't explain fully what happened and your right in as much as the driver should not have left the scene, however as a licensed heavy vehicle driver I will point out the rules in relation to Hazard Lights when displayed on a heavy vehicle.

If you see a heavy vehicle with hazard lights on it means you must slow down and prepare to stop as it usually means that they are about to use more of the road than usual. This is the only way trucks can pull out and then reverse into delivery driveways. With many years of experience I have almost cleaned up several car drivers who ignore Hazard Lights or simply don't know what they mean when displayed on a truck. I know other drivers who have had cars slam into them. You must understand that with some trucks the only rear view is in mirrors and they are not without blind spots. You chose to drive past a truck displaying Hazards at 60km/hr. Did it occur to you to slow down?

I have re read your post and by all accounts it would appear that the truck driver is obviously at fault I am unfamiliar with the stretch of road, however, I will emphasize the fact that most and nearly all car drivers have no idea about what to do when a truck displays Hazards. I'll check the RTA website to see what the car driver license requirements are in relation to this.

Also as boaties, most of us, we remember having to pass a test to obtain our license and this test included recognition of boat lighting configuration from Port, Starboard, Astern and Ahead and course adjustment accordingly. It's not too much to understand what Hazard lights mean. All I can say is if you see HAZARD LIGHTS, expect a hazard and slow down. 1 minute lost is better than a life.

Glad to hear that no child or anyone else was injured as a result. Lucky you weren't towing a boat.

as a truck driver you might think you can do what ever you want but the rule book i read to get my licence said nothing of the sort. and it certainly didnt say stop cause this driver is about to do an illegal u turn in front of you!

It was a 70km zone I slowed down to 60km, he was also parked right in front of a sighn that said no standing, I thought if you got your hazard lights on you have stopped to no fault of your own, or you are trying to alert other drivers to stay clear of that lane,If he had indercated , I still would not expect him to cut into my lane the way he did.

I have no problem with truck drivers in general, we all have jobs to do, I wanted to Know your thoughts that was all

There is no changing my thoughts about the driver he stuffed up,we all make mistakes, But not stoping to make sure that the baby( 6weeks old) was ok ?

or anyone eles.

He seen that there was a baby in the crash.

THATS NOT NORMAL

You guys have not read my reply. The truck driver was definately in the wrong. He did an illegal U-turn on a stretch of road that I assume is ridiculous. It could have been nasty and I'm not trying to excuse that.

But Hazard Lights are Hazard lights and I ask other heavy vehicle license holders to confirm that the average "Car driver" has no idea what they mean. By the way I'm an Industrial Arts School Teacher and a Truck driver occaisionally.

Edited by livo

as a truck driver you might think you can do what ever you want but the rule book i read to get my licence said nothing of the sort. and it certainly didnt say stop cause this driver is about to do an illegal u turn in front of you!

Wildfish, read the post before you blast off mate. I did not claim to be a truck driver. I said I have a heavy vehicle license and I have had cause to use it. I was explaining the situation from the other side and not excusing bad driving.

Put yourself in charge if 20 tonnes of vehicle and freight and have an idiot in a Hyundai lodge themself in your glide path. What do you do?