North Harbour.

costello

Raiders.

I'm intersted to hear anyones view on fishing North Harbour. I've been fishing Sydney Harbour for as long as I can remember, the funny thing is I've never ventured around the corner into North Harbour. I'd be intersted to hear how it fishes, species, success rate, etc?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Costa,

Nth Harbour is basically mud and sand on the bottom with small kelpbeds against the rocks (think squid). Davis Marina is good for yakkas and dory in winter. Out in the 'bay' flathead and bream are possible along with rays and other junk.

Of course anything that swims in the harbour can get in there. In years past it has hosted big schools of hairtail, baby trag and various other oddities. It is not as proflific as other areas in the harbour but worth a go if your normal spots are not firing.

Kings ofcourse cruise the area but there is little structure to keep them there.

You could do worse than tie up near one of the 2 sailing markers and berly hard, remember to fish light, this 80lb stuff for kings will preclude you from catching anything else. Once upon a time 12lb was considered heavy live bait gear.

Southerly

Thanks Southerly, I was curious to know because i've noticed most the waters edge on the South-West side is mostly rocky drop off straight into the water and looked like it could possibly hold some good fish, but like you say there is no structure to keep them there, still i'm going to stick my head round there next time and have a go just for something different, cheers.

Mark

Hi Costa,

If you are fishing off the shore you could try 40 baskets pool for bream and leather jackets, however the water is quite shallow there so berly and stealth is the answer on a high tide at dawn or dusk. Quite a few people fish the rocky edges by throwing baits out wide with big sinkers and a few rods, never seen anything caught though a few bream are likely. The spit pole on the northern side as well as the reef in front of the pool on the northern side can fish well for blackfish in a very big swell where there is a good wash.

From the shore I would go the the old gas works at little manly before I fished north harbour, conversly out of the boat nth harbour could be more productive.

Cheers,

Southerly

Hey cost, about the closest i have fished north harbour is the little manly gasworks.

I have landed kingies, salmon,tailor ,pike , flatties and the list goes on, from there.

Around quarantine there always seems to be a few birds working.

Seems to be a great spot for tailor XOS yakkas ans slimies in winter aswell:)

Guest dicko1

North harbour is actually quite productive at times. Drift nth harbour for good sized flatties, i have heard reports of jew from the reefy patch near fairlight and in winter there are heaps of trevally and dory...