Jew In The Bay

livo

Well, fishing is always full of surprises. After trying outside for naught in 3 places from 45 meters to 26 meters including East Reef and Trawleys and somewhere I just stopped, I decided to go back to Flathead Beach as there were flatties to be caught there yesterday. They might have been there today as well but who knows. Baby Reds in plague proportions. I was getting double hookups all morning and going through heaps of bait.

Decided to go over to Lion Island for much the same thing but here at least I did get a couple of Tailor as well. Only one was legal so I let it go. Not much point keeping one.

Over to the Umina side of Little Box sandbar for a drift and the Tailor were there as well but smaller. I'm thinking to myself live bait but whats the point. Little reel screams and at least a bit of fun landing a Shovel Nose on light gear. 15 minutes later and I'm about to call it quits when the same thing happens again so I figure another one. Wrong. This one does not want to stop. I resisted the temptation do do up the drag and I can feel that this is a decent fish although not huge. Let it go a bit and then after a short while I've got dinner in the net. A nice little jew going 56 cm in the middle of the day. 2.15 pm to be exact. He took the line that was rigged Paternoster double hook of # 6 Mustad Chemically Sharpened Baitholder baited with little Bluebait. Little tiny hook right in the corner of his mouth. Quickly dispatched with the short blade into the noggin.

Presently in the oven.

Caught a tiny yakka (about 100mm) after that so out to Box Head and put a 5/0 live bait hook in his mouth. He lasted about 10 minutes before something grabbed him and took about 10 metres of line but no hookup.

:beersmile: oclock so home I go.

I've got a pic on my phone of dispatched jew on ice. Might be able to post if I get time.

post-3225-1172994216.jpg

Edited by Sammy0884

Top stuff Greg, you have to be happy with the Jew, still yet to boat my first one. I'm sure you'd like to know what grabbed the Yakka though, that's fishing but hey :05: Well done.

Cheers,

Mark

I had it on an unweighted rig with no drag and just the alarm ratchet. The line went for two little short runs then a longer one at fair speed. Your always tempted to wack it but I picked the rod up and waited. Felt a slight weight come on and then nothing. Baited. It was only a little bait so the fish may not have been real big, but your right. It would be nice to know. The sounder showed a couple of fish of mixed size under the boat immediately before it was picked up.

I was very happy with the Jew. I've caught a few now when they are not the target species and it's always pleasing.