Gps

varos1911

I am after a Handheld GPS.

Now i do not want to spend much as it will be my first one.

All i want is something that is at a reasonable/cheap price, simple and let me type in my co-ordinates to find my spots and store them.

I have been looking at the Garmin GPS III Plus, it is priced at around $300.

Any suggestions ?

Edited by varos1911

We have several of these for work purposes. They so far (12 months at least) have been reliable. Mind you we use them land based only so can't comment on marine use.

garmin are fine, in fact all handheld gps should generally work better on the water as there are less obstructions and electromagnetic interference. i dont wish to go into the complete dynamics of how gps works but for the average person a current model handheld gps receiver should be accurate to +-3 to 7m radially these days. if you arent getting these sort of results either your datum is incorrect, you dont have adequate sat coverage or you need to perform a calibration. hope that helps. i am sure others will be able to assist with your query also. just remember that handheld gps arent exact!!!! but good enough to get from A to B, store your favourite fishing spot etc.

I have a Garmin hand held, it will do what you want it to do well.

My only problem with it is that it is hand held! If I am going out to a mark the compass is useless, you need to work on tracks and work out bearings and stick with them.

Mine has taken me to FADs when I could not see them in the swell (they aint that big)

Cheers.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

Funnily enough im just about to sell a handheld GPS its a Lowrance ifinder GO. Literally brand new

never been used as i bought a boat with which a GPS came as part of the package .I'll let it go for

$120.00 as it cost me 160.if your interested check it out on the lowrance website.

craig.

• 3 weeks later...