Just Beat The Storm

humesy

I had it planned all week. I have got a day off tomorrow and Sunday night was going to be a late one to catch the top of the tide at Juno. You know how when your heart is set on catching a big jewie and you think you have got it all figured out and you know there won't be crowds at a prime spot with prime tides. Well you become a little inclined towards ignoring the warnings from the bureau.

I put in at parsley bay at 5.30 and enjoyed a relatively smooth run out to west head. as smooth as it gets in an 11ft tinnie. I dropped the pick and start burleying up for the livies. All I could raise were a few just undersized pinkies. The l'il tinnie bobs around a bit out there and when you are fiddling around with knots and bait and watching the sounder, you can suddenly find yourself a bit green around the gills. :wacko:

3 pukes later and no livies.

plan B. back to flint and steel to put down the 2 squid i had bought along. squid 1 gets hit by a 50cm jewie. all my jewies so far have been a fair bit bigger (75-95cm) and it didn't seem right to keep this wee fella so back he went. Squid 2 gets hits by something bigger. turns out to be a 1m bronzie. it was a tricky business cutting him off. he would come to the top relatively easily but as soon as i reached out with the pliers, he would take a dive and a screaming run. at least i got to hear the sound of my drag. Finally managed to cut him off. a school of yakkas moved in and i had enough livies for the rest of the night.

moved to juno to find only two other boats. the lightning show had now begun though it didn't seem to be nearing too quickly and it was cool to watch. put down 2 livies and a butterflied yakka. the dead bait takes off but i knew straight away it was a biggish ray. after dragging him to the top, another line was cut. another butterflied yakka gets hit, this time, to complete the trifecta of undesirables, a shovel nose.

the tide was starting to turn and so was the weather. that lighting had definitely gotten closer and it was now almost constant. the clouds also had those weird green and purple colours that generally mean that all hell is about to break loose. dammit, this is prime jewie time. discretion became the better part of valour and i pulled the pick about 15 minutes into the runout. not a minute too soon either. wind picked up about 1/2 way back to the ramp and big drops started when i hauled the boat out. managed to stay dry though. then had an amazing trip down the F3 at 80km/h in bucketing rain and constant lightning.

good trip but hard yards. got to get a bigger boat soon.

cheers

Edited by humesy

Nice report Humesy. :thumbup:

I think you did the right thing in returning early in an 11 foot tinnie.

The wind last night was up there and it would have been a scary trip home

in that sort of weather.

Pity it turned ugly as you probably would have scored a few nice jewies

had it not been such an aweful night.

That lightning show last night was awesome.

better luck next outing.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hey Humesy,

Good to hear you had a better night than our effort on Friday night. At least you got a jewie to the boat. Keep up the effort mate because i am sure a big monster jewie is coming your way soon. The bigger boat is a good option. I was really sore on saturday.

Cheers

Hey Humesy,

Good to hear you had a better night than our effort on Friday night. At least you got a jewie to the boat. Keep up the effort mate because i am sure a big monster jewie is coming your way soon. The bigger boat is a good option. I was really sore on saturday.

Cheers

Thanks Zenman,

The l'il tinnie should be christened the crippler or the punisher or something like that. I am going to wind up looking like quasimodo at this rate.

Seem to be attracting a lot of sharks at the moment. They obviously like this warm water and the extra bait fish around. Anyone got any theories on whether they chase the jewies off? Is it worth persisting when they move in? They seem like the more aggresive predator.

Seem to be attracting a lot of sharks at the moment. They obviously like this warm water and the extra bait fish around. Anyone got any theories on whether they chase the jewies off? Is it worth persisting when they move in? They seem like the more aggresive predator.

ive caught jewies when the sharks are around, my cousin caught a 50 pounder straight after pulling in 7 sharks in a row.