South Coast Sat 3rd March

MrGenius

Some mates and i decided to go for a leisurely drive down the south coast to one of their holiday houses on Saturday morning. We arrived shortly after 12pm, got some lunch, mowed the lawns and then got the boat out.

We started off by pumping some nippers to accompany the soft plastics cause the wind was blowing at about 400 million mile an hour. It wasnt long before the first fish was on board a small sand flattie, then some pinkies and a couple more flatties. The wind was starting to become a pain so we cruised up river to get out of it and into a few of our favourite spots on some shallow flats. Plenty of yellow fin bream around in these parts as well as some good flatties. We threw out a few plastics, some nippers and one rod with a ganged garfish in case there was a big fella hanging around like there often is and sure enough within a few minutes my mate Fred was onto a solid fish. The little overhead setup made short work of the fish and in came a flattie just shy of 2kg and 65cm. The next hour or so was spent catching and releasing a heap of bream and flatties from 25-38cm before we called it quits to go throw some lines out on the beach.

At about 9:15pm we walked down to the beach armed with squid, pilchards and some garfish ready to catch anything that was interested. The big swell had formed a few nice gutters which we marked out just before the sun went down ready for the nights attack. First cast with a ganged garfish my mate Hacka's line is tangled around all of us up on the beach where the wind had blown the slack everywhere [this is his first time beach fishing] We tell him to wind up the slack, nring it in and re-cast it, then he says its pretty heavy i think ive got some weed stuck on it. 2 mins later he winds it up onto the beach and i walk over to see a big fat bream :tease: It was hooked perfectly in the side of the mouth on the bottom 3/0 hook, we could not believe it :beersmile: We chucked it in the bucket for a weigh in back at the house whilst we fished for another hour or so. We caught a few more fish and had a few runs landing a couple of rays and some bronzies but the bream was certainly the highlight at 1.38kg and 40cm to the fork bit under 45 to the end of the tail.

Here are some of the pics, ill add some more to the next post

post-1613-1173057134_thumb.jpg

post-1613-1173057185_thumb.jpg