Searching For A Boat!

wuball

hey guys,

im just looking at getting my first boat and was wondering if you guys could help point me in the right direction. I was looking at getting a second hand boat for fishing mainly in the botany bay, port hacking area and on calm days a little offshore. Aluminium hull, around 4-5m in length, with a budget around 10k. Ive looked at a few already, such as a 5.3m stacer sea ray with an 1994 85hp yamaha outboard and a whole lot of accessories for about 7k which i thought seemed quite decent (i may be wrong though), however i was hoping that you guys out there could suggest dealerships around the sydney area where i could find a decent second hand boat or any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks

That price for the Stacer sounds ok on paper as long as the trailer is reasonable. Id assume the boat is mid 80's vintage. They were pretty big boat for their size at the time. The motor is probably the "CV" series, consumer/customer value range. They were a bit more basic without oil injection and a couple of other small things. Less to go wrong, but a but less user freindly. You need to mix your own oil, which can cause the petrol to "go off" if not used regualrly.

If it is the Enduro series, this was the commercial range. I would be questioning the history of the motor regardless. 1994 is not old old, but hardly late model either. Many owners have no idea of the history.

The price seems OK. If you dont like it, and there is nothing worng with it, you should be able to move it with little loss.

Ive never bought a second hand boat from a dealer in Sydney. Just get the "Trailer Boat" magazine. This is full of used and new boats with photo classifieds and articles. They have a web site too, but if your new to boating the magazine may be better as you can flick thru pages and see the photos right there.

Some newsagents have a magazine called "Second Hand Boat Secrets" (by Jeff Webster i think) This is highly recommended for a new comer. It covers the basic checks and has reviews on a few older boats.

cheers

Rod

Hey mate,

Why don't you take a look at my boat? Im going to put it up for sale today if I get the time. Its a 4.5 aluminium with a 50HP 2004 model.

The hull is a late 80s or early 90's not sure but has been completely restored. Full carpet, even on the sides. It has fish holders, ski hooks, fish finder, live bait tank, radio, roket launchers, bimini and clears, full cover as well ( i think, never used it). All safety equipment too.

Has a bunch of extras!

Im looking at 9k for it! :)

post-2301-1173143823_thumb.jpg

Edited by locodave

hey guys,

Thanks rod for the help, ill take it onboard and continue to look around...that stacer just got snapped up last night by another buyer, so i was a bit slow! Locodave, your boat looks impressive but would u have any interior shots of the boat and how many is it licensed to hold? What are the dimensions of the boat too so i know whether itll fit in the garage or not and where abouts are you situated? sydney? Thanks mate

I don't have many shots of the boat on me at the moment! I will take some this weekend and PM them to you. It is licensed to hold 5.

I'm situated in Sydney but I normally keep the boat up the coast in Woy Woy.

I would suggest going up the coast and down Manns road if your looking for a boat as there are heaps down there, that way you can also pop by and have a look at mine if you are interested :)