27meg Radio Use

wildfish

can any one give me some info on how to use.

eg, what things do u use it 4.

do i need to report if im going out just inshore, and if so who to.

what channels do i use.

can i swap local fishing reports with other fishermen.

any help appreciated thanks!

luke.

thanks ben! yeah i thought i heard on boatique that you have to notify coast guard or someone if your going out, just wondering if that was out 100 meters or 1000?

i also have you halco.

oh yeah i got my flares n v sheet $50.

In terms of assistance, coast guard is insured to go out to 7nm, and I think coastal patrol out it 10nm...any further then it's water police. Although, on a clear day they have been known to go out further.

With the coast guard, it's $33 for a years membership. They supply you with a callsign then you use to log on each time. It saves time instead of relaying all your details onto them (boat size, colour rego), al you need to tell them is your callsign, POB, wher you departed, destination and ETR... Saves a bit of time.

Report insure if you wish. Not 100% necessary but like CFD said, better to be safe then sorry.

Also comes in handy if you wish to lend assistance to someone aswell.

Regards,

Pete,

Mate

Get a copy of the Marine Radio Operators handbook. If you don't know how to use it you will be nothing short of a menace, and when needed in an emergency it is imperitive that you know the correct radio terminology, silence periods and procedures.

Although you don't have to, it would be advisable to do a course with one of the volunteer organisations, which will also enable you to use the VHF.

Davo

I log on with The Local Rescue organisation every trip I make outside. One thing I do when I am crossing a Bar especially at South West Rocks make contact before crossing the bar and when I get into clear water to let them know I am out safely.

At SWR the Coastal Patrol does not have clear vision of the bar, and if you come to grief it could be some time before some body notices help is required.

I have both 27Mhz and Vhf on my boat and before I venture out of a new location I visit the control room and log my details with them, ask which freq they prefer, get their telephone number and question them on what to look out for what line to take etc.

Most of the rescue Organisations offer courses in the use of Marine Radios how to use them and licence testing, you can find the information on their web sites

Pete