Trailer Issues

james1990

Hi guys

Went to top the bearing buddies up this arvo, pulled the cap off to find that the nipple had snapped off, tried to screw it back in but nothing happens, now there is grease leaking out.

Can someone please point me in the right direction of what my problem might be?

I am assuming that the bearings have collapsed.

cheers james

Those bloody grease nipples come off all the time! IT seems they can only be topped up ONCE and they kark it.

You just have to get some new bearing buddies! I like the plastic ones rather than the metal ones. Also I change the bearings annually whether they need it or not. NOrmally the week my trailer rego is due. Very good insurance. Cheers kelvin

Some of them have a grease nipple with a lock nut on the inside. That might have vibrated and worked its way loose.

You might be able to carefully pull the bearing buddy off and see if the nut is on the inside. The ones i used to have the nut was big enough to not get caught up in the bearing rollers, but you prob still dont want it floating around inside.

A clean up and a spot of super glue or locktite on the thread should be enough to stop the nut coming off again.

If you can clearly see its snapped, just ignore my comments above.

Years ago i had the "Genuine" Bearing Buddies. Anything else I have used has never been as good.

Some of them have a grease nipple with a lock nut on the inside. That might have vibrated and worked its way loose.

You might be able to carefully pull the bearing buddy off and see if the nut is on the inside. The ones i used to have the nut was big enough to not get caught up in the bearing rollers, but you prob still dont want it floating around inside.

A clean up and a spot of super glue or locktite on the thread should be enough to stop the nut coming off again.

If you can clearly see its snapped, just ignore my comments above.

Years ago i had the "Genuine" Bearing Buddies. Anything else I have used has never been as good.

Mate that was exactly right, the nut on the inside had come off.

We opened it up yesterday arvo took a look and found the nut, all fixed.

Our bearing buddies are the metal ones about 3 years old, been topped up about once every six months.

cheers james