Bass Lures

macca

Gday Raiders,

I have recently joined a freshwater anglers club here in SA (SAFWAA) and cant wait to get out there to chase some Aussie Bass...

The dams they stock contain a fair few diff species; callop, cod, bass, rainbow & brown trout, atlantic salmon, catties and silver perch (as well as a few reddies and carp that have found there way in), and although i am familiar with cod callop and trout fishing techniques and lures, i have never hada shot at bass before....

I would be using my bream/creek flickstick; a 6ft 1-4kg strudwick sicstik pro and stradic 1000FH combo with 4lb smoke fireline..... hopefully i wont be undergunned, im not sure how big they get in SA though...

My lure collection is quite extensive and contain all sorts including;

-bucketloads of SX40s

-jackall chubbies

-jackall cherry 48Ds

-jackall flat fry

-jakall nitro jnrs (tailspinner lure)

-megabass 3/7oz spinnerbaits

-SX48s

-variety of poppers (jackalls, ecogear, strike pro)

-smiths camions, jades, towadis

lots of plastics as well....

these are my normal bream and trout lures,,, will any of these be suitable for the bass? and if so in which circumstances?

any other suggestions? and im also after a bit of an idea of techniques u guys use.........

i know im asking a lot, but hopefully one of you has a spare moment to fire off some info :1prop:

thanks guys, and hopefully ill be putting up a pic of my first bass soon

cheers,

Macca :1fishing1:

Cheers Stewy. Which brand are those? I have a coupld of the same type, made by AusSpin i think.... havent used them yet though, goodto here they are a goer, ill be sureto tie one on Sunday morning when i go.

I had a quick scan through the lrue fishign reports as well, looks liek youve had a bit of luck on surface lrues as well... which kind do you find works?

Thanks,

macca

• 4 weeks later...

hey macca

definately give those jackalls a try. me and my mates use them around the local dams and we pull up some thumping bass. spinnerbaits are dynamite aswell, favourites are smak pro select in the bony bream colour and guppy colour 3/8 oz. poppers are more of a shallow water target as sometimes the fish sit right on the bottom in the deeper water so try walk the dog styles like the zara puppies around the weed edges. hope i helped

cya