Wave Rider At Port

Lewis

G,day Raiders.

Hey, went out yesterday Wednesday, fished the sea mountain off Pig Island hoping for saome kings. Picked up one snapper 35cm and a goat fish 45cm and my floater out the back with a dead taylor on it got absolutely smashed by something, it had been in the water about mid depth say 35feet for over an hour , while I was tending my livie something just smashed it line was coming off the reel so fast, I lost 150 mtrs of 20lb braid and was into the backing line with in seconds, I tried to slow it but the backing line gave out and I lost it, I habve no idea what it could have been. I fished there for another half hour or so with no more bites so I decided to move wider as the conditions had improved.

I ventured out to the Wave Rider Bouy to try for some dollies. I put out a livie, floated pillies out the back while cubing for over an hour for no touches, I then thought that I would move out to the old trap grounds to have a go but on the way there the wind changed to an easterly so I turned back to the Wave Rider to go for a troll around it, when I got back, on the second run past I noticed some slight activity on the water wide of the bouy and went out to where I saw the movement, I swear I saw a fin of some sort, nahh must be seeing things when my one of my rigs goes off, its absolutely screaming I turned around and see that is my smaller rig that has gone off, and there is quite a splash about 30 so feet back from the boat. I cut the engine and took hold of the rod the little abu is going nuts, it couldnt have hit the other rig that was loaded with 50lb braid could it NO!!! the 300 mtrs of 20lb braid is rolling off effortlessly, I tried to slow it down, but you know when you get that uneasy feeling that what you are trying is not going to work, well I felt that way yesterday just before what ever it was emptied the splool, PING!!!

I was pissed, but really pumped at the same time. That was the last hit I had before heading home for the day.

Today Thursday I went down to the local tackle shop and purchased a shimano tyrnos 20 and a 15kg stick, Im going to load it with 50lb or better, so maybe I will have a chance with this rig.

I gotta get back out there.

Anyway cheers.

sounds like you had a few big fish on there lewis isnt it always the way the smallest outfit always goes off :mad3: mate you should be sweet now with that new outfit :biggrin2: at least you got a feed

lewis is your boat a centre console named stresless ?

cheers mik

G,day Guy's.

Mick my boat is named Stress.Less and it is a 4.55 Poly Front runner, From a distance it would probable look lioke a side consol.

Ben the :wife::wife: Mrs did know about the purchase, because as she is going to Bali with the girls from work, she's got nothing to say. Lol, lol

G,day Guy's.

Mick my boat is named Stress.Less and it is a 4.55 Poly Front runner, From a distance it would probable look lioke a side consol.

Ben the :wife::wife: Mrs did know about the purchase, because as she is going to Bali with the girls from work, she's got nothing to say. Lol, lol

It was you then

I was down shellharbour ramp a couple of weeks ago on a wednesday and you were bringing your boat in i was gunna come and say gday but the :wife: was in a hurry to go somewhere else.

cheers mik

Yes Mick that was me,

I got some nice flatties and a couple of reds, but dont get to shellharbour much as I'm usually out by myself and the surge can be a little tough at times.

....... where I saw the movement, I swear I saw a fin of some sort, nahh must be seeing things ......

I was fishing off pig island last week and and saw the fin of a shark about 10m from the boat. Not sure what it was but it looked like it was about 1.5m in length...

G,day Kingpez.

There have been plenty of sharks around the Islands and the beaches for some time now, but the fin I saw "or thought I saw" was not like any shark fin I have seen before and I was out at the wave rider which is 10k out, not saying that it was'nt a shark, but the fin I saw had an extended piece out af the leading edge at the top, and was black.

Hey Ben.

I was thinking the same myself, but really did'nt want to assume anything. But what ever hit that lure, hit it like nothing I have encountered before, and I've hooked and landed 20kg kings and a 31.5kg yellowfin down at the banks and they pulled very bloody hard, but on conciderably heavier line than the 20lb gear I was using on Wednesday.