Sydney Harbour 9/3/07

Dano1

Hi all,

Headed out early friday morning with a that feeling that squid were going to be a little scarce , as lying in bed the night b4 hearing the wind howling and the rain pelting against the window was giving me that feeling that we''ll be coming back empty handed!

But to my amazment first cast squid, 3rd cast squid then double hook up as i was running multible jigs, they were coming up thick and fast in 40min between 2 of us we had 12 in the bait tank i got 8 :yahoo: my mate 4, with the new downrigger waiting to be run in on its maiden voyage we new that we were in for a good day fishing.

First we downrigged around quarantine for zip. sweel and wind was not on our side, so decided to head in to clifton out of the wind a bit at anchor. where we managed to boat six legal kings ranging from the 62cm - 65cm in about 1 hr, next we tryied over neilson park yellow marker wre we boated another 63cm and 62cm model, decided to move on and give the downrigger another run, so headed towards the weeding cake within a 1min of downrigging it went off my mate was on strike he boated a 68cm king.

Tryed a few other spots around the harbour for a few good hits but no hookups, to many pickers. A funny thing did happen when anchored of the bombora at Grotto pt pulled up a mass of rope and chain on our anchor just as i was about to turf it back in a baby octopuss starts to appear out of the mass so i quickly got the bait net and dumped him in the live well, not knowing if they were any good for bait i thought i would give it a go, so headed back to clifton again to get out of the wind and the swell, hooked up the occy live on a twin hoook rig thinking nothing will hit it when only seconds after i had set it zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i grabed the rod and striked i was on but only breifly as it either spat the hook or pulled :mad3: ah well at least i know occy is a good bait.

As we only had one live squid left and time to head in we thought we'd downrig around the weeding cake again. Again it didn't take long for it to go off unfotunatly the knot on the stinger hook failed and i lost him after a short fight :thumbdown: as i had landed a few kings on that rig i was sure the knot was sound!! Must of been a bigger fish!! as he was taking alot more drag than the 68cm king!! but will never know!

All in all a good day out 9 leagal kings of wich 3 we kept realesed the rest. With the new downrigger producing the bigest fish!! hopfully its not long till we land some of those hoods that are getting around!!

a couple of photos from the day and the 3 we kept!

Dan.post-3412-1173696134_thumb.jpgpost-3412-1173696181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dano1

Woohoo dano. :yahoo: ..Great bag of kingies and great report too.

Looks like the maiden voyage of the downrigegr came up trumps eh?

That occy seemed like it was the goods as bait..pity it didn't stick.

Glad you rounded up a mess of squid as I thought the same as you, that the recent rain would have scattered them far and wide..interesting.

Looks like it's kingy steaks,fillets,sauteed,fried,and everything else on the menu at your house for the next few days.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Great effort.

Cheers,

Pete.

great report Dan,

good to hear you had a great day out in the harbour... :thumbup:

nice looking kingy's you got there mate

im heading out next week and cant wait, after reading about all the kingy's in the harbour, im dying to land my first one :)

Dave

Hey guys,

My first reply on the site. Love it!!!!

Thought i would put my two bobs in on the bait catching issue. I have been very successful catching yakka's consistantly in the warmer months. All over the harbour. but mainly around the wedding cakes, and some of the other man made structures like rose bay warf, watsons bay bath's and at balmoral. To name a few.

I have seen a lot of members asking questions on catching bait consistantly, so thought i might be able to help.

Mince meat on small long shanks, with little or no weight. split shots at the most. I sometimes mix up the meat with power bait, bread crumbs or something powdery. I also continue to berly while catching them. A lot at first to get them biting, and then little bits spread around the boat.

Some of the sheltered bays in the harbour have some very consistantly productive spots. keep looking while you are out on the water.

Anyway, converting them into big kings is the challange. I'll try and master the squid next, and then see if I can take some of Kelvin's fish. I am not holding my breath. he is the master.

Me and a buddy have 525 stacer bowrider.

see you all on the water

sparkles

Hey guys,

My first reply on the site. Love it!!!!

Thought i would put my two bobs in on the bait catching issue. I have been very successful catching yakka's consistantly in the warmer months. All over the harbour. but mainly around the wedding cakes, and some of the other man made structures like rose bay warf, watsons bay bath's and at balmoral. To name a few.

I have seen a lot of members asking questions on catching bait consistantly, so thought i might be able to help.

Mince meat on small long shanks, with little or no weight. split shots at the most. I sometimes mix up the meat with power bait, bread crumbs or something powdery. I also continue to berly while catching them. A lot at first to get them biting, and then little bits spread around the boat.

Some of the sheltered bays in the harbour have some very consistantly productive spots. keep looking while you are out on the water.

Anyway, converting them into big kings is the challange. I'll try and master the squid next, and then see if I can take some of Kelvin's fish. I am not holding my breath. he is the master.

Me and a buddy have 525 stacer bowrider.

see you all on the water

sparkles

G'day sparkles,

Mate if ur keen on catching some harbour kings, squid is the key!!!! I have spent hours and hours perfecting my squiding and i think after a lot of persistance and help from this site i am finaly getting there! As squid = Kings!!

As for yakkas i find a pre rigged bait jig preferably a luminus one cleans up!!! But if your've got squid in the live well i dont bother with yakkas!! Not saying yakkas arn't a great live bait this summer the biggest king i caught in the harbour went 81cm, was on a live yakka!! I have found overcrowding in live well can kill the squid!

See u on the water

Dan.

G'day sparkles,

Mate if ur keen on catching some harbour kings, squid is the key!!!! I have spent hours and hours perfecting my squiding and i think after a lot of persistance and help from this site i am finaly getting there! As squid = Kings!!

As for yakkas i find a pre rigged bait jig preferably a luminus one cleans up!!! But if your've got squid in the live well i dont bother with yakkas!! Not saying yakkas arn't a great live bait this summer the biggest king i caught in the harbour went 81cm, was on a live yakka!! I have found overcrowding in live well can kill the squid!

See u on the water

Dan.

Cheers Dan

look forward to getting a few more before the water cools down

Sparkles