Port Stevens 18th-19th Feb 07

offtap1

Hi All extremely late post , waiting for pics from mates camera. Me, my old man, Caige(outdodad) Iain(Reel Addiction) and Buddy Joe hit Port in my boat for weekend marlin fish. First marlin fish for all except for our mentor Iain. Early start Saturday for some live bait, only managed a few Yakkas and headed east 40ks to shelf. put out spread and went north in search of temp break. Travelled some 15ks before turn and head south. jsut as i straightened boat the outrigger goes off and Iains Tiagra is howling on full strike, I get harnessed up to take rod and the excitment begins, my first, Iain in control of boat doing a grand job had me winning line as a estimated 80kg black does a nice display in distance off rear. 30 minute fight had her to boat with double in spool, bit green yet she takes off for another run, second time to boat and i think its all over when she gave a few hard head hits and would you believe snapped hook at barb to win her freedom. Absolutely awsome experience being my first with memories that will stick. Continued troll south for no more hits. Decided to throw a few Yakkas out back and slow troll with a couple deep over some bait, not long before one gets a good hit then stop, waited for the run which didnt eventuate to find Yakka had been split open, evidence of a beakie hit. Called it a day. Back out sunday after late start, and found some slimies this time for our bait for the day, long hall out to shelf to find rain and more rain, began trolling amongst a large group of boats to find a few others hooked up to some tail dancing beauties. Found some bait on sounder and Iain dropped down a heavily weighted bait jig to pull a few fresh slimies from 120m deep. Sounded some more bait and eventually found a bait school on the way up, being smashed by something at 60m. Pulled up and watched Iain bridle up a couple of Slimies. Drpped 2 x live bait down and while doing so Joe still feeding bait down his rod in freespool starts speeding up. Get him harnessed and ready Iain clicks drag up to strike to set hook and the fight is on. 10seconds into fight and another black does some nice dancing out rear, just as this fish lands back in water a nice Blue jumps and continues to jump towards us , jump, jump ,jump straight past the back of our boat with a 10/0 and leader hanging out of his mouth. Anyway Joes still on to his fish and unable to gain line , this thing gets to bottom and still peeling line, we chased it round and round for some time before the lines comes up straight and is cut by hull of boat. 400m of Tiagra 24kg and a nice Black gone.Finishing up the day on a high still. I wish to thank Iain for making this a memorable trip and for showing us the ropes, absolute pleasure to be with.

Iain checking on the spread.

post-1870-1173523955_thumb.jpg

Joe on and Iain reading out the instructions.

post-1870-1173524022_thumb.jpg

Me On

post-1870-1173524266_thumb.jpg

First Black

post-1870-1173524293_thumb.jpg

Edited by offtap1

:thumbup: awsome report there dave.

definately got your heart and bloody pumping on that trip hehe

pitty you lost the first marlin you hooked up on but at least you got the feel of what its like to fight a monster.

well done mate :thumbup:

nice pics as well

Guest Reely

Awesome work guys! Glad someone was getting into them!

Just realised this was from the PFT. Doh!

K.

Edited by Reely

No mate thank you for the weekend out on your awsome boat

I am a novice mate only been fishing for them for a few months, i could only pass on what good mate steve has tought me over the last couple of months, i have only just broken the surface, still miles to learn

I am still spewing that we didnt land the fish, your one was as good as landed mate double on the spool and leader up.

But thats why they are sucha sought after and prized catch for the simple face that they are so hard to land.

Anyway mate looking foward to getting out there again with you mate. next trip out for me you have a seat on my boat

Big congrats to joe aswell that is a sensational photo of a jumping fish

Iain

Edited by Reel Addiction