Dolphin Fish Far Botany Fad

cruisecraft

Hi

Set out from Burraneer Bay at 6am today for the Port Hacking FAD and got there just after sunrise(~6.45am) However the FAd was nowhere to be seen even though we had gone to the GPS coordinates as per NSW Fisheries site. Quick vote on board and we decided to go to the far Fad off Botany and some 8 nautical miles later arrived to be the only boat there. Cubed some pilles up and a just legal king came on board .Second drift past the Fad we see some dollies deep and one of the boys pulls up a 60cm dolly on a pilly, Third past another dolly boated, we start thinking how good is this going to be. Then it goes quiet for an hour or so and we then bring out the livies. I could not score any yakkas on Sat arvo in the Port Hacking area but caught 10 hand sized trevors at Salmon Haul Bay so they became our livies. Anyone know where the yakkas are hiding? 3 live trevors gets thrown in next pass and straight away my trevor gets excited and as the braid starts running off the reel I close the bail arm and she comes up tight and she takes line. One aerial acrobatics and then the dolly goes deep and I tightened the drag and pull her in. She measures 70cm. We go past the fad several times more wth the trevor and pillies but only land 1 more dolly for a total of 4 dollies and 1 King. We then went to the near Botany Fad (near the Peak) but there was no action there .We even got the downrigger going with a live trevor.This time last year the FAds were fishing really, really well for dollies, different picture this year-eh. Cheers

Regards Kit

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

However the FAD was nowhere to be seen even though we had gone to the GPS coordinates as per NSW Fisheries site.

This time last year the FAds were fishing really, really well for dollies, different picture this year-eh. Cheers

Regards Kit

Kit,

I hear you.... the dollies are nothing like last year. Well we can only hope that we get a late run before the water temp drops off. As soon as I get my boat back I'll be out there every spare minute I've got.

Make sure you send off a quick email to Fisheries informing them of the lost FAD so they can check it out and replace it if need be.

Go to this Link>>>> http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreation...ads_-_locations

What was the current and water temp like out there? I was out there two weeks ago and it was raging to the south at about 5 knots.

Thanks fellows

Water temp was 22.9C, unsure about current.How does one tell how fast the current is running? In the morning the wind was fairly strong, I estimate 17-20 knots but it calmed down by 11am to less than 10knots and we came home at 20 knots without any back jarring in the 20ft half cabin. Last year I was fishing the Port Hacking Fad for dollies( and doing well) till the end of May, lets hope we do have a late run this year.I 'll get onto Fisheries about that Fad.

Regards Kit

Hi Ryan

I was in a black/white Cruise Craft Explorer 625 with 4 on board. At Botany far Fad from ~7.40am till about 11am. Then at near Fad from ~11.20am -12.15pm. Which boat were you in and which Fad ,mate?

Regards Kit

Edited by cruisecraft

Guest IFishSick.

Was at the far one about 8:30 - 9, think I may have seen you mate.

I was in a white Haines Hunter, 6m

Mate ,you had 4 on board.

By the way I have heard back from a fella named Heath from Fisheries who will be checking the Port Hacking Fad when the weather is a bit better in next few days.

Regards Kit

Edited by cruisecraft

Guest IFishSick.

Nah, 3 on board mate, but yes I know I saw you now. We trolled past you and had to wait for the Double Hull boat before we passed through. And you followed it then stopped next to the FAD then dropped down your rigs right?

did anyone read the report about the 2 cold whirlpools of water about 100km off sydney, it was in the daily telegraph on wednesday i think.

apparently these are affecting the water temperature big time.

Edited by frankp