Lake Tabourie Has Anyone Fished There?

Thomas Mattarelli

Hey Guys just wondering if anyone has fished down at Lake Tabourie

and if its anygood down there in the lake and off the beach i might be staying down there during easter.

if you have any stories i would love to hear them

And also what sort of fish would be round that area beach an in the lake ??

Thanks Guys

Thomas

fished tabourie a few times. generally the lake is very shallow with sporadic access to the ocean so the size of fish is generally pretty small.

One spot we used to have a lot of success was just on the south-west side of the highway bridge. At sunset with nippers and fresh worms some sizeable bream were around (biggest went ~45cm). make sure you fish light though as without current and clear water the fish a liable to be very finicky. aside, the channel has plague numbers of small tailor and bream.

Try with fly hooks, dough and floats for the many garfish and mullet.

The beach and island are your best bet at a feed. The island is a bit of a lucky dip with plenty of pelagics to be had in the warmer months.

good luck, let us all know how you go.

fishin here is what got me to realize that theres more to fishing than throwing a prawn on a hook in the water and hoping for the best. was contantly getting flatties in exactly the same spot, (200m inland from bridge 20m out from shore, very shallow trolled in conoe). went back november last year for a week end, lake was putrid, plagues of fies near water in epic proportions. but there looked some real good fishin spots on the beach!!! was blowing a gale when i was there so couldnt try the beach. also with all the rain weve had the lake may be in better condition! (oh yeah no lake access to ocean when i was there).

There are absolutely jewies to be had off the beach in front of Tabourie, especially when the lake is open (which it may well be after all the recent rain). I've never caught one, but I have seen and heard of plenty caught in the area.

Wairo beach, just up from Tabourie, is a fantastic beach fishing location. All species are on offer - Whiting, Bream, Flatties, Tailor, Salmon, and the beach holds a good population of worms.

All up, Tabourie is a classic South Coast estuary/beach setup. Beach fishing there at this time of the year should be spectacular.

If the lake is open poddie mullet can drag in monster lizards on the run in. Haven't fished it for a couple of years but I do remember only getting decent fish early in the am and then not much for the rest of the morning.

Dave

Juat 5 min south of Tabourie at Stokes island fishes real well. You can only get out to it at low tide. It holds real big squid and plenty of surface action in the sheltered side.

Davo