Big Mean South Coast Salmon

KINGvirgin

Hit my usual spot, got there a little later than planned after a mishap out of my control...

anyway we got there bout 10 and got straight in... hooking up straight away to 3 rock fish... all went quiet and it looked a bad day indeed, not the baptism i had intended for my new combo bought yesterday off sean at watto's, i'll go off track mid report just to say what a fantastic bloke this guy is, he really gave me his attention and time , was honest and looked after me big time in the end, its outstanding customer service like that, that will keep me going back ... thanks again sean and watto's :thumbup:

back to the fishing, it went quiet so we decided to walk around the rocks to see what was on the other side, was some good fishing spots on low tide but the swell was a bit nasty and safety first in mind we headed back to our normal spot, it was here i decided to have a go flicking some SP's... i bought a pack of the berkley gulp 4" power minnows yesterday and thought why not.... being a virgin to SP's (other than a short flick in the bay once) i didnt expect much at all..... first cast without fail beginners luck strikes and so does a massive salmon, i seen at least 4 of them follow the lure falling over themselves before right in front of me BANG!!!!! the fight was on but unfortunately my 6lb line that sean had spooled me up with wasnt enough and i was smoked..... boy was i :ranting2: but also the adrenalin was a new rush for me.

I tried putting another one together but my end result looked nothing like the one done for me by the bloke at st marys tackle..... alas no more fish and the result was an angry man who was wishing he had bothered to watch how to thread the jig head through the body.... back to old pillies and prawns and it went quiet again.... with 1/4 block left of pillies we decided to cut our losses and call it a day....we tossed the remaining pillies into the rockpool and sent out our last pillies.... having wisened up and adding a 15lb leader to my outfit earlier paid off in the end when on the last cast i felt a solid bite and then saw my line going sideways , this was new for me so not knowing what it was i struck and heard that sweet ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ moments later a sambo gave a leap and it was pandemonium.... my mate grabbed the camera and got some good action shots (displayed) b4 we landed him, unfortunately we got a bad photo of him on the ledge( also displayed) and then the camera died :wacko:

anyway to cut a long story we salvaged the pillies left for dead from the rockpool and proceeded to have about 45mins of madness with the salmon, dropping a few and landing several more....

the biggest of the day went 62cm , but as stated the camera died :thumbdown: so no photos of the catch..

all were released as we dont eat salmon :1prop:

the new carbotec rod from watto's handled the fish superbly, letting the fish give an incredible account of themselves whilst being strong enough to stay in control.

All in all a great day at watto's yesterday was converted into a great day today

thanks again sean :beersmile:

post-1750-1173860847_thumb.jpg

post-1750-1173860861_thumb.jpg

post-1750-1173860901_thumb.jpg

Great day on the Sambos. :yahoo:

How many times have you had an ordinary session and chucked the remaining bait away

and thought you would have one last cast and it's on for young and old!!

It's happened to me a few times and now am very reluctant to ditch the remaining bait. It's like an omen.

Good that you only threw it into a rockpool and was retrievable.

Glad Sean looked after you as he does for all Raiders..The man is a legend. Well done Wattos.

Great report and pics.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hit my usual spot, got there a little later than planned after a mishap out of my control...

anyway we got there bout 10 and got straight in... hooking up straight away to 3 rock fish... all went quiet and it looked a bad day indeed, not the baptism i had intended for my new combo bought yesterday off sean at watto's, i'll go off track mid report just to say what a fantastic bloke this guy is, he really gave me his attention and time , was honest and looked after me big time in the end, its outstanding customer service like that, that will keep me going back ... thanks again sean and watto's :thumbup:

back to the fishing, it went quiet so we decided to walk around the rocks to see what was on the other side, was some good fishing spots on low tide but the swell was a bit nasty and safety first in mind we headed back to our normal spot, it was here i decided to have a go flicking some SP's... i bought a pack of the berkley gulp 4" power minnows yesterday and thought why not.... being a virgin to SP's (other than a short flick in the bay once) i didnt expect much at all..... first cast without fail beginners luck strikes and so does a massive salmon, i seen at least 4 of them follow the lure falling over themselves before right in front of me BANG!!!!! the fight was on but unfortunately my 6lb line that sean had spooled me up with wasnt enough and i was smoked..... boy was i :ranting2: but also the adrenalin was a new rush for me.

I tried putting another one together but my end result looked nothing like the one done for me by the bloke at st marys tackle..... alas no more fish and the result was an angry man who was wishing he had bothered to watch how to thread the jig head through the body.... back to old pillies and prawns and it went quiet again.... with 1/4 block left of pillies we decided to cut our losses and call it a day....we tossed the remaining pillies into the rockpool and sent out our last pillies.... having wisened up and adding a 15lb leader to my outfit earlier paid off in the end when on the last cast i felt a solid bite and then saw my line going sideways , this was new for me so not knowing what it was i struck and heard that sweet ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ moments later a sambo gave a leap and it was pandemonium.... my mate grabbed the camera and got some good action shots (displayed) b4 we landed him, unfortunately we got a bad photo of him on the ledge( also displayed) and then the camera died :wacko:

anyway to cut a long story we salvaged the pillies left for dead from the rockpool and proceeded to have about 45mins of madness with the salmon, dropping a few and landing several more....

the biggest of the day went 62cm , but as stated the camera died :thumbdown: so no photos of the catch..

all were released as we dont eat salmon :1prop:

the new carbotec rod from watto's handled the fish superbly, letting the fish give an incredible account of themselves whilst being strong enough to stay in control.

All in all a great day at watto's yesterday was converted into a great day today

thanks again sean :beersmile:

Top report mate and good to hear that good old fashioned service still exist at Watto's. :thumbup:

Guest dicko1

Top work there Ian! You must'v been stoked to get on to some good fish first time out with the new outfiT! Hope that trend continues for you! Makes me wish I had'v come! keep up the good work