Running Braid For Lb And Sp

stylo

I have done a search and have come up with HEAPS of info in this tackle section - great ! Though I still have a few questions. This is my current light outfit:

7ft ugly stick (2-4kg rating rod)

Penn accord 2000 eggbeater reel (aluminium spool) 8lb / 150m braid friendly bail arm etc.

currently using 8lb mono ATM

landed - chasing flatties, bream, whiting etc.

From what I have read so far, spooling for use with live bloodworms, prawns etc. as bait:

1. mono backing

2. double uni knot

3. wind on tightly

4. braid 3 mm to the lip to prevent wind knots

5. 1-1.5m mono leader with a double uni knot to braid past the first guides

6. sinker

7. swivel

8. trace

9. hook

How am I progressing so far?

What modifications to the above setup do I need to do to use SP ?

1. mono backing

2. double uni knot

3. wind on tightly

4. braid 3 mm to the lip to prevent wind knots

5. 1-1.5m mono leader with a double uni knot to braid past the first guides

6. jighead with SP

I think my options (for the beginner) would be 8-10lb Fireline or Jarvis Walker from BigX/Ymart.

What do you guys say? Thanks for any info!

This link was useful --> http://www.japantackle.com/Topics/PE_braided_lines.htm

As was this one --> http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...c=14238&hl=

As was this link --> http://www.fishraider.com.au/articles/softplastics/ (however on Step 3, the SP rigs are different in that they use a sinker ... please explain ?)

Edited by stylo

I like the albright too. I use it for all my braid to mono connections. I have one on a Kingy stick which has caught over 30 fish. Actually, I must replace it as it is getting old now.

If you Goolgle "Albright Knot' you will find a few sites which show you how to tie it. The other good knot to use is a slim beauty.

Guest IFishSick.

I must say that on Saturday when I tried the Albright knot I fell in love :1prop:

Have been using a 7 turn double uni forever but now like a 10 turn Albright for its slim profile and ease through the guides.

I must say that on Saturday when I tried the Albright knot I fell in love :1prop:

Have been using a 7 turn double uni forever but now like a 10 turn Albright for its slim profile and ease through the guides.

Hey guys, I mucked around with the albright and double uni and have to admit, the albright is the goer.

Much easier for me anyway !!

Another question, I was at the tackle shop and was told that Berkley Fireline is nor as good as "true braid".

For the beginner such as myself, will the Fireline suffice (6-8lb stuff) or should I go all out and get the proper braid $25 vs $60 ...

Guest IFishSick.

I really don't like the Fireline myself.

The knot strength is appauling and it holds a bit of memory. Fins is my favourite, great knot strength and fairly thin for a longer cast and lest resistance in the water.

It's up to you mate, if you can afford it go for the true braid.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing i'd be changing if your using SP'S is a grafite rod that you can buy fairly cheap these days if you don't want to spend great deal of money.The lure works much better, than an ugly stick

Got me Fin 10lb braid ... was on sale from $47 -- $35.

Give it a go and see what we get :)

Just one last question, what knot to use from leader to the actual jighead ... I was shown a fancy knot which allowed movement of the actual jig head ... I will google the knot see how I go, but does anyone know what it is called ?

Thanks !

use fireline it's not too bad for the price ($27 down in wollongong) and 6lb is heaps, the lighter the better with those fish using sp's in particular. I am even thinking next going with 4lb for the flattys and bream...

as for the leader, I would use only 1m so it's past all the guides and i dont reckon you need more than a metre - if others think otherwise can you let me know why you use over 1m.

buy proper leader line, uni knotts I personally like best but others like the albright its just personal preference.

It's all fun and games mate, give it a few months, try a few things and see what you like best to - just because it's written down doesnt mean it's perfect for you; we can all add our own touches to advice and let others know about it to give them a few things to try to.... I particually learnt this playing golf.

Anyhooo mate I'm no pro but there's a little to think about and you have some excellent advice for other guys to.

cheers

Ben

Do you think I should go down from 10lb FIN braid to 6lb fireline then (it is cheaper for a beginner after all) ... I had a feeling that 10lb MAY be a bit thick for my purposes of flicking plastics etc... should have gone with my gut feeling ...

As you said, everyone has their own methods .. but I'd like to hear them all ! Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

I finally (got the time to) put on my new 8lb smoky yellow Fireline (fake braid).

Followed all the tips above, 1/3 reel mono, used albright knot where required and had a fish with the 3gram sz 1 squidee jighead with some plastics ..

The casting was awesome .. very easy to aim (perhaps that is just me .. ahha) and i could see the plastic doing his thing under the water.

I didn't fancy too much time in the rain so I came out empty handed but am looking forward to my next SP session.

Thanks again fells !!

ps why is there the need for the 1m of leader that starts from between the reel and first guide to the tip of the rod ?

Edited by stylo

ps why is there the need for the 1m of leader that starts from between the reel and first guide to the tip of the rod ?

there isn't...though when casting I prefer to have some leader in the guides to give it some "spring" and to avoid chaffing the braid. you generally only need 1 to 1.5 meters of leader all up as you said earlier in this thread.

there isn't...though when casting I prefer to have some leader in the guides to give it some "spring" and to avoid chaffing the braid. you generally only need 1 to 1.5 meters of leader all up as you said earlier in this thread.

awesome .. thanks champ !

• 3 weeks later...

OK I have 2 setups happening now and I am just wondering what weight soft plastics I should be using on the:

* 4 kg stick (8lm braid) &

* 8 kg stick (14lb braid).

I have a plethora of soft plastics and jigheads now so I better start using AND losing some ! I have a range of jig heads from 1gram up to 9 grams (1/32 to 1/3oz)

Any tips ? Obviously heavier jigs (how many grams) for the heavier stick ?

I'm a learner myself but from all the reading i've done and used in practise, its the lightest jig head you need to get it down to the bottom for the conditions ( current ), which usually means 1/32 or 1/24 sometimes 1/16 with a No 4 hook on a 2" SP or No1 on a 3" SP or worm. Not sure if SP's are categorised by there weight, usually by the size. I think the hook has to protrude somewhere in the front to middle section of the SP ( unless its a worm ). Please correct me if i'm wrong as i am still learning myself. By the way this set up if for targeting bream and seem to also catch tons of flaties.

Not to sure about the heavier outfit, is it for pelagics or snapper

thats my 2 bobs worth

billy

Cheers mate.

The lighter stuff works well with the lighter outfit, no doubt. Just have not given the larger outfit a run yet.

I got the heavier outfit mainly bait fishing ... but was just wondering if plastics can be used on it the only difference, really, is the slightly longer rod, reel and line class...

:wacko: