Thoughts On This Boat

wuball

hey guys,

just wondering what your thoughts are on a 1998 brooker sea al 410 equipped with a 1998 mercury force 40hp. I want to use the boat for mainly bay and harbour fishing and the occasional offshore expedition on calm days(not too far out though). if anyone that has had some experience with this boat or motor and has a thing or two to say about it then that be great! thanks

Those Force engines were the basic no frills version of by Mercury.

Im not sure what spare parts availability is like any more. I dont know if they still make them (could be something to do with emmission standards?)

Ive heard mixed reports on other forums (meaning some happy owners and some people having all sorts of problems)

They are definatly NOT the prefered motor for most boaties, so re-sale value will suffer.

For you, it might be good as you can purchase the package at a lower price. If the motor ever plays up you may have saved a few dollers to help replace it that way.

And if it keeps on going, well you are in front. Just be prepared to get less when you go to sell it.

The SeaAl/Brooker are at the budget end of the tinnie market, but they have been in business for at least 15 years under various owners. (we owned a SeaAl in 1982)

Re going outside. My humble opinion says you might be able to hang around the heads on a good day. If you wanted to venture much further make sure its one of those mirror flat days and make sure that there is a few other boats around incase you run into trouble. The enterance to Broken Bay, Sydney Harbour and Botany can get dangerously messy, all in their own unique way. How far you go aften depends on confidence.

Rod

Those Force engines were the basic no frills version of by Mercury.

Im not sure what spare parts availability is like any more. I dont know if they still make them (could be something to do with emmission standards?)

Ive heard mixed reports on other forums (meaning some happy owners and some people having all sorts of problems)

They are definatly NOT the prefered motor for most boaties, so re-sale value will suffer.

For you, it might be good as you can purchase the package at a lower price. If the motor ever plays up you may have saved a few dollers to help replace it that way.

Myself and domza have seen quite afew of the force motors blowing LOTS of blue smoke, im no expert but they dont look to good.

cheers james