Easter Fishing -hayseed In Thu Big Smoke

Mik

Look out City Slickers, the country bumpkins are a comin'!

Hi Raiders

First up I wanna appologise to anyone waiting to hear about Lake Cargelligo. I did go, even threw a line in one arvo but as for a recon for the carp comp held in October each year I found nadda info. But, I will be going back over the next few months os I promise to come good on the info. One thing I did find out, Murray Cod are on the chew in the area.....ya just gotta know where (Working on that one)

Anyway, here's my reason for posting.

Boat now going (Small 4.2m 1/2 cabin runabout with old 55hp Eninrude & 8hp trolling / backup motor) :thumbup:

New sounder on-board (Humminbird 787c with GSp but only standard maps at this stage) :thumbup:

Busting, and I mean BUSTING to get out into the salt & try for something other than Yella Bellies & Silver Perch. (Don't get me wrong, I love 'em but its the 'ol "Grass is greener" thing)

I have about 1 week off for easter & want to get to sydney, collect my brother in-law & his wife & have a bit of fun for 1/2 a day on the water. Then I wanna take the bro-in-law & get serious on the wetting a line game. My bro-in-law lives in Bondi.

We went to the Hawkesbury (Pitwater & Cowan Creek) awhile ago but didn't get much. We were LB first day & hired a tinnie next with only one flathead brough aboard. I loved the area but pretty scenery is no match for good fishing'. I guess the servo bait didn't help :biggrin2:

So, I was hoping you guys might suggest a few spots that we could try with the following requirements in mind. Also, any help at all on baits & tactics would be wonderful. I have learned so much here from reading all the posts & reports but additional tips are always welcome.

Here's a rundown on what we're looking for.

Thursday - Somehwere simple & safe for a novice boatie to launch on my own as bro-in-law is working thursday (We'll actually be arriving Wed evening) I don't mind driving a little from bondi to find somewhere with little water traffic. (Returning to Bondi) I will be mainly getting my sea legs & bearings. Probably will use this day to orientate myself in the same water we will be in on Sat & Sun. I can launch & retreive by meself, I've been practicing. I just hope its not too windy.

Good Friday - Somewhere on the Hawkesbury to take the wives & do a few short cruises (We can only take one wife at a time as the boat is too small so one will mind the little 'un) maybe throw in a line for an hour or two in the arvo. (Returning to Bondi)

Saturday & Sunday - Fish-o-rama: Anywhere two fellas with no clues & little experience can launch a leaky boat, hook something (Other than ourselves) & have some fun. Hoping the bro-in-law will be up for staying overnight (Motel or cabin etc) but also willing to return to Bondi Sat evening & then head out again Sunday. Not sure what the traffic will be like these days in the city though?

Monday - Possibly extention of Sat & Sun but if the :wife: 's start getting miffed at our absence we might have to settle for casting into the kiddies pool at Bondi. (Don't laugh, I would if I could! :biggrin2: )

Tuesday - Last day of boating possibilities & most probably solo (Unless bro-in-law scores a repreive from work or a Raider is silly enough to offer as deckie)

As you've probably gathered by now I'm a novice boatie & fisher-person. Don't send me out in the really big green stuff as I'll end up in New Zealand!

I would dearly love to get amoung the pelagics but am honest enough to admit that neither our gear or experience would be up to the task. That will come later after I've read EVERY post here & many more hours in the boat. For now we would be happy to find some nice lizards, bream or even snapper if that's possible on our limited range & gear.

In all honesty I'd probably be very happy to putt around the hawkesbury but judging from some of the posts lately it does seem that its not fishing too good at the moment & maybe you guys & gals might know of better places where we can be safe & have a good chance of catching some decent fish.

Hoping for a few for the BBQ & more for the photo album / memory section (AKA c&r)

We have a multitude of HB's, Sp's & bait rigs. We also have several spinner baits, metals & a few poppers. I will also be catching up with either Watto or Tony for some additional lures & maybe a squid jig or two.

Our gear is mainly light, 6 to 15lbs (Some braid & some mono) and light cheap sticks. One good rig (Mine :1prop: )

Oh yeah, no bait tank, just a bucket & a battery operated aerator :074:

I realise most of you will be busily planning your own fishing trips so any attention you could offer me is greatly appreciated & I thank you in advance.

PS - we promise not to break anything!

Yeahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

your comin to the big smoke

good to hear Mik

i just got confirmation i am not going to melbourne that weekend

but might be popping up to SWR maybe

otherwise i will be doing a bit of fishin somewhere.

hope to catch up on the water or around

Yeahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

your comin to the big smoke

good to hear Mik

i just got confirmation i am not going to melbourne that weekend

but might be popping up to SWR maybe

otherwise i will be doing a bit of fishin somewhere.

hope to catch up on the water or around

I hope to catch up with some Raiders Johnno it would make my trip even better to meet some of ya's.

Mik,

From Bondi you will be only 10 mins from a boat ramp to get you into the middle of the harbour. I would be happy to show you how to not to catch Kingfish at the most popular spots :1prop:

Robbie.

Robbie, mate I'm sure you could teach me loads of stuff!

Which ramp would be my best option you think? One close to Bondi would be awesome. Maybe a stupid question but are the fish in the harbour ok to eat. If not maybe I should bring this lure.... :1prop:

post-3284-1174085035_thumb.jpg

Anywhere around Pittie will be hurt by the commercial fishing...

For cruising, up and down Middle Harbour is nice, and there is a big hole in amongst some moorings which is surrounded by bush.....

For actual fishing, we usually strike lucky at Old Mans HAt....

Guest IFishSick.

post-3284-1174085035_thumb.jpg

Hey, my sister got a Lisa Simpson rod and it came with that very same lure.

Wonder if it could catch me my very own 3 eyed fish..........

Hey Robbie, thanks for the map. Just been told that the ramp you pointed out is within spittin' distance from the bro-in-laws new unit.

The lure, as Ifish pointed out can be bought at wally world (AKA #-mart)

It's a wonder you blokes haven't got heaps of them in ya tackle boxes already :074:

Thanks for the info guys.

G'day Mik ,

I will confirm this later on in the week , but I would be glad to spend some time showing you a couple of spots around the Harbour where we have had some luck in the past. Our boats are about the same size , so I have the same reservations about heading out into the Big Scary Water ( aka The Pacific Ocean !) .

If you like , we could take a short drive over to Botany Bay ( about 25 mins or so ) and try for some fish over there .

Ross

Ross

That would be fantastic if you can manage it! Thank you for the offer. Let me know how you go for time.

On another note. I broke a rod tip yesterday (Forgot to mention that in my fishing report) It was only a cheapie so I'm not too upset. But that leaves me with only one rod for two guys on the water (I have a 10 footer but the ain't enough room to swing a small mouse on my boat let alone a 10 foot rod. So I guess I am now "Forced" to buy another rod. Any suggestions Raiders? Keep in mind I only get to the Salt occasionaly (Prolly 2-3 times a year if I'm lucky)

I'm thinking 2 rigs (Complete with reels) that I can use when in the boat & salt. My budget for these would probably be around $400 for the two (Yeah I'm a cheap bugga)

I know it's a small budget but any suggestions for 2 rigs I can setup to cover a few different options that I might encounter when in Sydney?

I already have a good rig for casting light stuff (3-6Kg) so maybe the two newies should be a bit heavier & possibly something we can use to try for a few rats, flatties & bream. Is this too much to ask of a single rig?

I do have several reels which might be ok, I'll post details later today. That would maybe make things a bit better if I can use them but they are only light from memory.

Edited by Boofhead

G'day Mik ,

Mate , have a word to one of our sponsors , either Sean from Wattos , or Tony from Fishfinder. Im sure they will be able to organise something for you .

Ross

Yup, I'm sure I will be tapping into the 'ol "Spending Account" at one or both shops soon. :biggrin2:

Hi Boof

Depending on the time of day you travel, it might be better to go to Wattos and see Sean on your way to Bondi, its just off the Great Western ( i assume you will be travelling from Orange), you can go to Fishfinder and see Tony when you fish around the Bay. This might save you a trip - St marys to Bondi is a Bloody long way especially with traffic( i know how you country bumpkins love the traffic)

On another matter........My inlaws are at Narromine and i visit them with the family pretty much every school holidays. What are the chances of having a :1fishing1: sometime. I normally fish for cod on the Macquarie but wouldn't mind hitting the Dam.

Anyway hope we can arrange something.

Billy

Cheers, that was actually a question I had, where are these guys located & which is best for me from Bondi. Thanks for that. :biggrin2:

Traffic? Mate we get loads of sheep on the roads out here, whaddaya talkin' about? :074:

What are the chances of having a :1fishing1: sometime.

Billy

Is the Pope a sprinkler?

My Oath mate, I'll PM you shortly with contact details. Just ring me a few days in advance before you come through & Bob's your Auntie.

I'll fish for anything mate, just let me know. I have been given a few nice spots by a few locals on the Macquarie (West of Wellington) which need a tinne but I'm working on that. Otherwise LB or "Fanta Pants" in Dam is fine by me.

Couple of rule though;

1 - If fishing for Cod, No setlines!

2 - If you catch a Cod before me your swimming home (I ain't caught one yet so the odds ain't in your favour) :074:

Edited by Boofhead

G'day Mik ,

At this stage , Fri , Sat and Sun are free , as you are coming down on Wednesday , If you get into St Marys area before lunchtime , I can take you direct to WATTOS. We can organise our fishing when you get down here .

Ross

Ross, I'm not sure at this stage when we will be arriving but reat assured I'll let you know as soon as I sort it out. Thanks again.

OK Raiders

I've done an inventory of my reels & this is what we have to play with at Easter. If you think all I need is rods to match then great. I just don't know if the reels are suitable for anything other than a bit of light bait & some casting work or not (Except the Chronarch setup which I'll be using to target a big lizard in the shallows of Hawkesbury if time permits.)

REELS

Brand, Model, Line Size

1 x Shimano Chronarch 50Mg

2 x Penn Powerspin v 3000 8lbs

1 x Silstar Exon EX-60 5-8Kg

1 x Ryobi Graphite MX 40G 12-20lbs

1 x ABU Garcia Cardinal 104 10-14lbs (Actually my bro-in-laws reel)

Any thoughts on utilising these reels & matching rods would be great. Any thoughts on other reels / rod combos in my budget are also much appreciated. Thanks again for your time Raiders. :thumbup:

Edited by Boofhead