Warumbul/brighton Le Sands Again - Flatheads Galore

JonnyD

Dropped down to Warumbul on Wednesday morn for a bit of a fish. No luck on squid jigs, (couldnt see any either) tried some SPs for a while and the most annoying thing, numerous times they came back sans tail !!!! The SP was cut directly off just behind the hook !!!!! :1badmood: After wasting 6 or 7 odd decided to call it a day. God knows what was doin it, but whatever it was HAD TEETH !! (first assumption tailor)

Went down to Brighton on Thursday and started flicking some of the new Zooms I got in Baby Bass and Arkansas shiner colours. Immediately onto a 35 cm Flattie, over the course of the next couple of hours I landed 10 flatties, 6 legal up to 45cm, also got two tailor at 25-30cm and the funniest thing caught a squire that was the same length as the tiny fluke !!!! Talking about its eyes being bigger than its stomach ! In the end I was hookin a flattie almost every cast, eventually just got too tired !

All in all took 4 flatties home for dinner....yummmm tempura flattie !

Another bloody succesfull day courtesy of Zooms.

God knows what was doin it, but whatever it was HAD TEETH !! (first assumption tailor)

That's why they call them Tailor / Choppers. First hit takes the tail off which prevents the prey from escaping. Subsequent hits eat the rest. This is the reason I usually use 4 by 4/0 gangs which puts the trailing hook right at the tail of the average pilly when targeting them from the beachy.

cheers guys, yeah friggin choppers might have to sort out some sort of stinger arrangement next time to get them!!!

Def likin' Brighton for land based these days, and the fact I live there now makes the trip that much easier !!!

ahhhhh one day I will have a boat

Jonny D - tried Warumbul on Sunday early morning. Tide was very high and surface action every few minutes. Not sure what it was until I got a follow on my Zoom SP in Baby Bass colour - they were Frigates! No bites though. Maybe if I had the Arkansas Shiner I might have been lucky. My eldest son was casting small metal slugs but did not get any bites either. My one and only Frigate was taken at this spot using the same slug.

A guy came later to check the place out and reported that he had caught frigates (about 9 if I remember correctly) and a Watson's Leaping Bonito off Bundeena wharf and he got the frigates on Berkly BMs watermelon I think. Those frigate are definitely still around in the Hacking.

Was trying for squid as well but did not have much success compared to other times. Dropped about 4-5.

I decided to try Brighton-Le-Sands after reading your report. Didn't know where though and just tried off the beach to the north of the baths using the same SPs. Did not get anything though. Whereabouts in Brighton do you fish?

I decided to try Brighton-Le-Sands after reading your report. Didn't know where though and just tried off the beach to the north of the baths using the same SPs. Did not get anything though. Whereabouts in Brighton do you fish?

I find the only place where I get em is the little beach immediately next to the runway, basically you park in the old control tower parking lot, north of cooks river. On a sunnny day you can see the drop off about 10-20 meters out. I find the only way to get em is to get there at low tide and wear boardies and wander into the water to the edge of the dropoff....at low tide it will be about waist deep and basically just cast into the blue water. You can wander to the edge of the runway and the sand bar goes out a bit further and you can cast at the yellow bouys.

I usually take a pair of pliars in my shorts cause you will get heaps of small ones too and its a pain in the bum having to wander back to the sand to get the fish off. So I de-hook them while in the water. Best of luck, might seeya down there, gonna head down on Thursday arvo at low tide for a fish with a mate.

BTW where do you get the squid at Warumbul ? Off the wharf ? I tried left and right sides, tide was pretty low which probably severly hampered my efforts as there wasnt a heap of water over the weeds but it was calm and clear and I couldnt see any squid from site.

Edited by Jonny D

Thanks for the tips on your flathead spot - might check it out one day.

As for squid in Warumbul, high tide is the best time. Cast over the weeds on both sides of the old wharf but you have to make sure you have a suspending or slow sinking squid jig. Have lost rigs in the weeds!

There's squid also to the north of the old wharf. Instead of going right from the carpark to the wharf, go straight to the end. There's a grassy area with sandstone walls. Have seen big squid pulled from here.

Best of luck and hope to see your report. Frigates are still around in the early morning.

Thanks for the tips on your flathead spot - might check it out one day.

As for squid in Warumbul, high tide is the best time. Cast over the weeds on both sides of the old wharf but you have to make sure you have a suspending or slow sinking squid jig. Have lost rigs in the weeds!

There's squid also to the north of the old wharf. Instead of going right from the carpark to the wharf, go straight to the end. There's a grassy area with sandstone walls. Have seen big squid pulled from here.

Best of luck and hope to see your report. Frigates are still around in the early morning.

Went down on Wednesday morning about 11...tried for a while off the pier and nothing at all.....

went down to the grassy area near the old wooden boathouse and nabbed two....one quite big. I also droppped about 4....wil have to get down earlier next time

hooray for squid dinner !!

Went down on Wednesday morning about 11...tried for a while off the pier and nothing at all.....

went down to the grassy area near the old wooden boathouse and nabbed two....one quite big. I also droppped about 4....wil have to get down earlier next time

hooray for squid dinner !!

Glad to hear of your success JD :thumbup: Well done Mate!

gday mate i fish around that area due to the fact that i live close aswell but i have only fished it once with no luck :thumbdown: but i always try under the bridge on the right side but have only hooked a flattie around the pilons and under the freeway but latly its very quiet. :05:

take care :1fishing1:

gday mate i fish around that area due to the fact that i live close aswell but i have only fished it once with no luck :thumbdown: but i always try under the bridge on the right side but have only hooked a flattie around the pilons and under the freeway but latly its very quiet. :05:

take care :1fishing1:

Yeah I have tried under the bridge and in the river and only nailed two small ones...the beach is heaps better..just requires getting a little wet unfort.

thanx johnny d

i've been fishing the groynes down near Ramsgate and pulled a nice 55cm flattie

i'll have to give your spot a try next weekend

blowin a gale today

good day to stay inside and talk fishing on the net

is this the spot ?

yeah thats the spot...on the photo you can see the drop off from the green to dark....you really need to be fishing off the drop off...so either you have the ability to cast a hundred + meters or so....OR go at low tide and wander out in your boardies to the drop off (its no more than waste deep) or get a boat (I wish !!)

thanx mate

i might try my beach rod for a long cast

it's only 8 '6" but not bad

if the waters warm i might wade out with my spin stick

i'll tell you what happens next weekend

hopefully pics of flat ones

by the way , is that private parking there or can anyone park

do you drive in from city side ?

Edited by robeebee

thanx mate

i might try my beach rod for a long cast

it's only 8 '6" but not bad

if the waters warm i might wade out with my spin stick

i'll tell you what happens next weekend

hopefully pics of flat ones

by the way , is that private parking there or can anyone park

do you drive in from city side ?

anyone can park, but its only open from 6am - 7pm I think, they close it off after that to stop the "fully sick" blokes doin dougheys. You can access from the city just go through the tunnel dont turn left onto M5 but its a left turn only 10 or 20 meters past the M5 turnoff.