When Lures Work Too Well............

baldjamie

Saturday on Sydney harbour was a game of two halves, on the positive half, 3 Squid Two King fish and one Frigate Mackerel between me and my mate. (thanks for the advice Dan)

On the down side $400+ worth of tackle stolen by an angry thieving kingfish!

Whist fishing the yellow Nav marker in the middle of the main harbour I decided to flick a lure at the marker as the Squid strips had been quite for half an hour or so.

3 or 4 winds into my first lure retrieve the squid rod takes a hit, I dropped the lure rod picked up the squid rod and struck but missed. At that second the lure rod (which was right next to my foot) gets smashed as the lure was fluttering down unworked.

In a split second the rod arches over goes flying off collects another rod on its way past and both rods disappear to the bottom of the harbour before I even had time to put the squid rod down!

Stunned we sat there for 10 mins laughing and tring to work out how it actually happend. Still, very amusing day.

So if anyone finds an 11 foot Diawa Carp rod with almost new Shimano Baitrunner 4500 loaded with 14lbs fireline with what will be now a very tired or dead kingfish on it a cash reward awaits you.

Happy days!

James

Guest dicko1

unlucky with the lost gear!! For 400 bucks worth of gear it's almost worth paying a diver a 100 bucks to go down and get it for you! Iv got a mate with all his own gear that's probably do it for you...

Guest lets go fishn

Well done on getting some fish......

11ft rod in a boat........?????????????????????????? thats one big rod for a boat mate...why would you have a rod that big

depending on what type of fish you you are fishing for the extra length on the ride enables you to steer a fish easier from structure or around the boat.

i feel it works particularily well when fishing heavy drag in tight spots for kings and jew.

if you fsh for these fish give the longer rod a go you will be suprised

Netic - I take your point on an 11 foot rod, whist not conventional, what I have found is with a quality graphite blank, light weight, probably 5-7KGish its superb at getting tiny lures out 50M odd gives a massive advantage when chasing surface activity or lure fishing from the shore.

As “lets go fishing” says. it give loads of control you just cant get from a smaller rod and has helped landing Tuna and all sorts up to a 13KG Jew. But point taken, its not a huge glass broomstick with a dirt great Alvey nailed on the bottom and its certainly not used to drag fish off the bottom.

D&G – thanks for that let us know how you get on, both fishing and dragging!

Thanks Dicko - The tide was rushing out so probably nearer Hobart that Sydney by now though

Also have shotos of the two undersize kings and the Frigate from Saturday but even at 198KB they are too big. I have followed the instructions with no luck again. The snaps are the last three here if you are interested

http://baldjamies.spaces.live.com/photos/?_c02_owner=1