Old Mariner 55 Idle Problems

D T Wave

Hey Guys,

I've got an old mariner 55hp Marathon engine i'm reconing its an early 80's model. Had it now for over 7 years and no problems, plenty of joy. Lately its still running fine at speed but when i'm idling or going super slow the engine will cut out. Then to re start it i have to put it into neutral then give it some revs and it will kick over.

I've changed the sparkies, cleaned the fuel filter and fuel lines. Still the problem remains. Its almost like there is a blockage somewhere, not enough fuel getting in when revs are low.Maybe the carbies need cleaning out. I've been advised not to service it because its so old???

Could i pull apart the carbies or am i better off with a mechanic??? Anyone recomend one around the eastern suburbs??

Cheers

Dave

Guest Aussie007

see if the plugs are burning amber (normal colour) if there wet and black could be electrical if burning the correct amber colour could be fuel good way to start out to finding the problem

spkplg_colorchart1.jpg

Edited by gazza

Remove the plugs , and test them for spark quality . Check the gaps , and make sure they are the same.

Personally , I think that you will find that the internals of the carbs are gummed up . Aslo check that the synchronising linkages are well lubricated , and move together when you open and close the throttle. Also check the spark advance mechanism under the flywheel for free and correct movement. It might be worth the investment of spending the money with a good marine mechanic.

Ross