Greatest Mullet Session!

dazzassj6

Weather: Fine but rained at 4:30pm

Temperature:31 degrees

Wind: 12 - 18 knots

Time: 12:45pm, High tide 1:30pm

WEnt to X spot to fish for mullets and got there with HEAPS AND HEAPS of bread over the ground and in the water. I guess someone was trying to feed the birds LOL. Well thanks to them it was a massive burley bomb for the whole place. Heaps and heaps of mullets was feeding off massive bread rolls.

I quickly setup with a clear float. and treble hook and folded the bread over the hooks and it works. and then my float disapears and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz LOL THESE guys fight nearly as hard as a kingfish. Well actually not that hard but pretty tough to land them on light gear as we dont have a net >_<. There was hundreds of massive fat mullets all over my float and eventually one actually ate it and im fighting it with my small 2500 reel on 4lb fireline 6lb trace and a 3 ring guide telescopic rod. It went on fighting it for like 3 minutes. I had to make sure it was all tired out first cuz this fish was massive! i havnt worked out the size yet but probably about 50cm MULLET! Yeh i quicked smashed its head and it bled to death.

LOL moved onto catch another mullet. It was like 1 mullet every 1 to 5minutes. They were everywhere.

So yeh quickly hooked onto another one and all together hooked up:

6x mullets

2x Breams (undersized)

Lost: 3 mullet.

They took my bloody treble hooks! now i got no more. LOL no more mullet fishing. Yeh the bucket was getting full and probably weighed about 5kg+ altogether.

Henry came at around 2:15pm the action has died down but managed to get 3 more mullets wen he came. So that means i caught THREE mullets in 2hours. But the last 3 mullets i caught them within 20minutes although they were smaller.

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

NOTE: notice the last picture i just used a small 2inch bloodworm grub SP to compare the size LOL

Edited by dazzassj6

thankz

lol it was somewhere in cooks river. Yeh im gonna eat some and see how it taste and then keep some for bait if its yuck. =p I need some mullet meat for crab trap too.

Edited by dazzassj6

Woah! That's awesome! :thumbup::yahoo: They're all bully mullet- they don't normally feed on bread! - To catch a few is pretty rare. Well done.

Flattieman.

well someone guy burleyed the whole place with bread probably for birds or sumfin. So all the mullets was feeding off bread. whole skool

LOL i just ate it. ITs not that good >_< cuz mum fried it. Friend told me it tastes better wen oven baked. Well i thought that it was not nice cuz i dont like the smell of mullets. Neither do i like the smell of Tailor. Just not used to it.

Hi ya

Isn't it great fun catching mullet? They are full on up here at the moment, on the rising tide. Once I locate a school (usually in the leases), I fish the edges, as the smaller mullet tend to sit in the main school & the biggies hang off the edges. They jump in the air & try to wrap you around oyster posts & really just 'go off!' Like you, I use light gear & just have so much fun. Sometimes I just do it for fun & put them all back!

When fresh, they are lovely eating - but, like Blackfish, you have to fillet & skin them as soon as you kill them. They eat the same stuff as blackies & the flavour is affected badly the longer they are dead & not filleted. It is the black lining in their stomach that sends them off! Never buy a whole mullet for food - only for bait!

When filletted & skinned, I just put them in a plastic bag with breadcrumbs, shake the fillets around & cook them in a mix of olive oil & butter! Yum. Better still, just fillet them (no need to scale) and hot smoke them! Beautiful! Nice as fish rissoles, too.

Cheers

Roberta

i have seen heaps of mullet jumping recently just up from Beaman park

near Marrickville golf course

[/img]

21-11-06_1401.jpg

is this the spot ?

i've often thought of giving it a go on light gear just for fun

wouldn't eat them though

do you reckon they would take a gulp or powerbait on a small jighead ?

21-11-06_1348.jpg

???????????????????????????????????????????

i have seen heaps of mullet jumping recently just up from Beaman park

near Marrickville golf course

[/img]

21-11-06_1401.jpg

is this the spot ?

i've often thought of giving it a go on light gear just for fun

wouldn't eat them though

do you reckon they would take a gulp or powerbait on a small jighead ?

21-11-06_1348.jpg

???????????????????????????????????????????

nope they wont take any soft plastics but bread. Yeh i fish in that river but not at the golf course, probably like 5 kilometres down. Yeh the golf course part looks very similar to the place i go to.

Roberta: yes i used the knife to scrape the black lining in the stomach off but it still tastes awful.

Guest IFishSick.

nope they wont take any soft plastics but bread. Yeh i fish in that river but not at the golf course, probably like 5 kilometres down. Yeh the golf course part looks very similar to the place i go to.

Roberta: yes i used the knife to scrape the black lining in the stomach off but it still tastes awful.

That's why you use them in 3rd's for crab trap bait