Berowa Creek Bassin'

Hi Raiders,

Whilst fishing in my usual spot in crosslands a while ago I spoke to another fisherman who mentioned that there was bass is the upper reaches of Berowa creek :wacko:

Only one way to find out i thought so yesterday arvo i hit the river upstream of the rapids in the freshwater zone. Water did not realy look fanstastic but my previous trout experience has taught me big fish can live in small water providing there is good cover. First pool was shallow but packed full of timber and overhanging trees :biggrin2:

Not really knowing were to start i rigged up an unleaded squidgy bug and cast towards the visible snags.

Third cast as I pulled the bug over the top of submerged log it is smashed by a fiesty little aussie Bass. :thumbup:

Stoked my first ever Bass and plenty more to come I recon, all less then 10mins from my back door, he,he :yahoo:

BM

Went back this morning before work for a surface session and what fun i had :biggrin2:

Started with a Kokoda Bat and this time let the lure sit for a while before a few twitches and then a slow retreive with plenty of pauses. A missed strike i stop the lure and he comes back and just nails it off the top :yahoo: First Bass on surface and what a buzz!!! better than fishing dries for trout i recon because the bass have no trouble engulfing the whole lure :1yikes:

Then moved to a deeper pool and switched to a R2S Buggie Pop, two more missed stirkes before a little fellow finaly stays attached :thumbup:

this Bass thing is getting adictive :biggrin2:

BM

The first two taken at the same snag were about 20-25cm, not big i know but a start

I will never forget that first surface strike, scared the crap out of me :074:

BM

Hey BM know what you mean,

my first bass caught on the surface was on crazy crawler over 20 years ago and I still remember it, they sure shift some water! :biggrin2:

Regards, Rod.

congratulations on the bass!

by the way is bassin and breamin similar- I know you use spinners with bass and a whole range of lures but is the retrieve the same? How bout soft plastics? Just wondering