Calling All You King Freaks

GregL

Hi Raiders

All this king talk on here is starting to wear me down!

I use to chase them a fair bit but over the last 3 years the bream have gotten in the way.

My boat is really a lure casting boat but hey I'll try anything once! :biggrin2:

Question is, does anyone chase them at night?

I personally have never caught one at night but have seen one landed at the spit at night.

If so, does your technique change from daytime?

Cheers

Greg

One of my hard core (and i mean HARD CORE) rock fisho mates do catch kings at night Greg.

One night the kings were so hungry and aggressive (I think this all happened around 3-4am one morning) and were completely unstoppable, that everybody ran out of bait and when they switched to white/pink 6 and 9inch sluggos, they ran out of those as well....amazing stuff.

Guest IFishSick.

Yes, a few years back my dad landed 1 of 5 Kingfish at 13kg which kept busting him off on live squid in Bate Bay.

Dunno, but I dont think they would be as hot bite. However, if you look at some of namesay or Kelvins reports, some of the bigger kings he has caught have been on a dark background.....

Night is more of a Jewie time from what I have heard, though.

Henners

Thanks guys for the replys.

I'm gunna give it a go, I'm thinking around the Spit as the lights attract to bait fish there.

Now I have to go buy a proper anchor!

The one I have at the moment is one of those tinny fold up ones, just so I had all the safety requirments for comps. I have had this one for 2 years and the rope still hasn't been untied! :biggrin2:

The joys of lure casting! no lifting anchors ;)

Cheers

Greg

Greg,

The guy at my local pizza shop has had a bit of success in January & February this year landing 5 or 6 kingys LD from near the Spit Bridge during several night sessions. Showed me the pics so I know he was honest. He was fishing for Jewies with live yakka. Good luck.

Paul

Thanks guys for the replys.

I'm gunna give it a go, I'm thinking around the Spit as the lights attract to bait fish there.

Now I have to go buy a proper anchor!

The one I have at the moment is one of those tinny fold up ones, just so I had all the safety requirments for comps. I have had this one for 2 years and the rope still hasn't been untied! :biggrin2:

The joys of lure casting! no lifting anchors ;)

Cheers

Greg

You guys may have seen a few photos of me holding a king against a black background but they weren't caught at night.

These larger fish in Sydney come on the bite late in the afternoon and when the sun sets, they definitely go off the bite.

However, there are places in the world and here in Australia where kings are regularly taken at night. I have never targetted Sydney kings during the night so I cannot tell you how or when. In my experience when the sun goes down, the sydney kings go as well.

My best guess would be to try a well lit area. I have fished swansea bridge for kings at night successfully so the spit may be a goer. If you do get some there please let me know! CHeers Kelvin