Sydney Harbour 29-03-2007

gretsch

Hello Raiders,

We went out on a charter this morning.

Fantastic conditions. The Harbour was very flat and almost glassy everywhere. There was a great deal of activity around the Bridge due to the tradgedy last night.

We managed 12 squid at various locations. One was absolutely huge. Mantle length of about 400mm.

On the Kingy front it was very quiet. We landed 7 in total. Only two were legal at 63 and 65cm.

One of the returned Kings jumped back into the boat. Craig actually netted a free swimmer which was chasing a tailor we had hooked.

Great day.. my Clients were very happy.

I will load pics tomorrow.

Cheers

Ceph. A. Lopod.

Well done on ur catch, :thumbup:

Btw, I like ur user name :074:

penguin

Yeah.. we started calling the ink from the squid "ceph". It would seem reasonable that a fluid from a Cephalopod be called Ceph. We get ceph all over our boat and ourselves whenever we have a good session.

I then thought it a good pseudonym for the Raider board..... glad you like it.

I must say, I enjoy catching squid as much as kings...

Edited by Ceph

Gidday Hook'm

Mate, I think the Kingies are becoming fewer in number however, the average size is up. We have been averaging 70-80cm fish over the last 6 weeks compared to plagues of 55-60cm fish over Christmas and January. We were catching 15-25 fish per outing with only 3-4 over 60cm. Gradually, they have been getting bigger however, harder to find.

I find downrigging produces better results size wise. I am back out this Sunday so it will be interesting to see what happens.

The squid are definetly on at the moment and they are BIG !!! That big fella this morning was amazing. Would have needed a 400 pound downrigger weight to troll him...

Cheers

Ceph

OK Guys... here are some photos. The kings were standard so only one shot but the Ceph.. he was a cracker. Full of fish when we opened him up. Looked like little bream skin, fins and bones. We found a cuttle bone in one of the others... they must be the Hannibal Lecter of the sea.

My Business Partner Jason with an average Kingy - can you pick the spot?

The Bloody Big Ceph...

For the Tackle Heads, the jig was an imitation Yo Zuri prawn in pink.. about a size 3.0 with the typical cloth covering. No egimax. He was hooked about two metres from the boat in mid water. We had a visual on him prior to the strike. The ink plume he blew was about 1.5 metres in diameter and hung in the water form a good half hour. He took about 5 mteres of drag... sports fishing for squid.. I reckon it is the new thing.

Nice one guys!, thats a huge squid!!

(just out of interest were you guys catching the kings in the main section harbour (wedding cakes , clifton etc)

Can't wait for the pics :thumbup:

Gidday Mate

We caught kings from Quarantine to Rushcutters. The little ones were at every buoy and another boat was getting them on Fly. We were looking for some more substantial fish but alas, they illuded us.

:1yikes::1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

That is one big squid!!!!

Hey we were next to you at quarantine when you neted that king :thumbup::thumbup: to funny!! was wondering how u ended up with 2 fish when only 1 of you was on!! we had about the same day as you plenty of squid but not many kings around managed to boat 4 all legal biggest 65cm!! baits getting smashed at quarantine by tailor!!! i think! :wacko:

Dan.

:1yikes::1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

That is one big squid!!!!

Hey we were next to you at quarantine when you neted that king :thumbup::thumbup: to funny!! was wondering how u ended up with 2 fish when only 1 of you was on!! we had about the same day as you plenty of squid but not many kings around managed to boat 4 all legal biggest 65cm!! baits getting smashed at quarantine by tailor!!! i think! :wacko:

Dan.

ah.. I now recogmise your boat. We got a big Tailor on and thats what the King was chasing.

Will look for you next time we are out.

Cheers

Ceph