Tale Of Kings And Trailcraft. 1.4.07

namesay

THe big squid was cut up as I used the head and gut for bait. ONly kept the tube. THe squid are getting larger recently and we are picking up some good specimens. Cheers Kelvin

The last 3 or 4 times I've been squidding I've picked up 2 really big squid and had one other big one get off last night when I had the jig in the water as I was untangling line. The drag was set really tight so it just came straight off after a few big pulls :(

Needless to say I went hungry this morning because my breakfast is still swimming around out there... somewhere...

It's a shame the kings are thinning out though, I feel like I'm only just at the stage where I know enough to catch them now.

Gosh Kelvin, That would be my worse nightmare having my trailer wheels come of , Lucky you wasn't

on the main rod when that happen, :1yikes:

Hope you sort thing out and see Noble back on the water real soon,

Ps, Book with Al to fish on my last trip to Perth, but unfortunately mother nature was not to cooperating, had to can the trip! :thumbdown:

Cheers

Dave

Around this time every year, the kingie bite starts to slow down dramatically. The water chills, we get some rain and the kings start to really thin out.

For the last 3-4 years I used to get a charter in April to see what the pros do in these leaner times. Must say I learnt a lot from these guys.

I went out today to be greeted by leatherjackets in all the markers!!! They were really thick and blanked out my sounder. ONly got 2 small kings. The kingie fishing will be sporadic and by May you will have to adopt winter tactics. It is time to start looking for new ground. Will be hitting the offshore marks with the new Noble for which it was designed.

As for squid guts, it is the best part of the squid for bait! Don't throw this out!!!!!. If you have any squid to clean always keep the gut. It is very easy to remove. You just slit the squid tube opposite to where the "bone" is and just pull it off in one piece. You then hook it through the hard part. This bait is pretty hardy and is the only part of store bought squid that will attract attention from the kings of the harbour. Cheers KElvin