Twisted Winching Eye

Evets

Hi Fellow FR,

Hoping for some advice. I have a 4.75 m firbeglass seafarer that has a problem.

When I last winched the boat on the trailer I noticed that the winching eye (the place the winch rope attaches to the boat) has twisted around from its normal vertical position to something like 45 degrees off vertical. Its a loose and moves around with a bit of effort - but does not feel like it will come out.

Not knowing how these winching eyes are installed I am concerned that it may come out next time I winch the boat onto the trailer.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to reliably fix this? Or it best left to a professional?

Pics to follow if necessary

Thanks

Evets :(

Quite often they are just a stainless U bolt with some 'glassed in timber backing on the inside.

Have a look around the inside of your boat to see if you can see any nuts on the inside to tighten up. They might be covered with some flowcoat to hide them and make them look pretty. If they are covered with something they shouldnt vibrate loose, unless the timber backing has gone soft/rotten.

Id make it a pretty high priority as it could come off and you loose your boat on the road....... or if winching on and it lets go, the winch cable could whip back and do you some damage.

cheers

Rod

Quite often they are just a stainless U bolt with some 'glassed in timber backing on the inside.

Have a look around the inside of your boat to see if you can see any nuts on the inside to tighten up. They might be covered with some flowcoat to hide them and make them look pretty. If they are covered with something they shouldnt vibrate loose, unless the timber backing has gone soft/rotten.

Id make it a pretty high priority as it could come off and you loose your boat on the road....... or if winching on and it lets go, the winch cable could whip back and do you some damage.

cheers

Rod

Thanks for the tip Rod.

It was exactly as you said.

I just nipped up the nut on the inside and shes as good as new :thumbup:

Steve