Beacon East Off Port Kembla

Lewis

G,day Raiders.

I managed to get out Wednesday if not a little later than I had hoped, 8.30am. I hit the water with the expressed intensions of heading straight out to Beacon East, but the conditions suggested that I should make other plans, so I headed to Pig Island and took up a position on the northern side of the island and took a little refuge from the choppy swell that was coming up from the south.

I found a nice little drop off and sent out two floating baits one with fresh cuttlefish, the other with a pillie tail, then another slightly weighted one along with the berly, nearly two hours had passed with not even a inquisitive nudge for my trouble.

It was then that I decided, seeing that the conditions had turned favourable to go with my initial intentions and head out to the beacon. About half way there the water had turned a nice electric blue but was still a little cold at 20 degrees, so I stopped and deployed two 20cm pushers and continued on my way. I took the boat to 9knts and the pushers were working a treat, just breaking the surface then diving back into the water creating a nice bubble trail, then after about 5 to 10 minutes my 15kg stick gets nailed, I put the motor out of gear and picked up the rod line was still being ripped off at a great rate with that lovely sound zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I then added a little more drag to slow the fish down, slowly the fish turned and I was able to get some line back.

After a couple of minutes the fish had gone deep under the boat but I could sense that he was tireing, so I turned up the heat a little more and was thinking I've got it beat, but just as I saw colour the fish took one last desperate effort at freedome with one more run. To no avail the run was short and back towards the boat it came, colour again, this time more defined, silver with a flash of electric blue and I'm thinking albacor but no, as the fish came boatside and laid on its side I could just make out the very faint stripes. But hey not to be dissappointed a nice 67cm stripie.

I trolled the immediate area for another 40 minutes or so with no more hits so I continurd out to the beacon.

Once at the beacon There were fish on the sounder so I deployed as usual two floaters, one with cuttlefish the other with a pillie on and drifted past the beacon while throwing lures around. This went on for around an hour, so I put out a weighted bait and sent it down approximately 70 to 80 feet, at which this point I was to get my first hook up at the beacon.

The fight only lasted for a couple of minutes as the fish spat the hook not long after.

To cut the story a little shorter that was pretty much it from that point on, I did head out to the FAD to find more fish on the sounder, but they were not interested in feeding, so I had to call it a day as my curfew time was fast approaching as I had to be home for the kids after school.

In all a pretty quiet day but hey I'm happy with a 5kg stripie.

post-1163-1175736092_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Lewis

Stumpy it is a magellan meridian GPS (platinum)

with the amount of phones and rods/reels and cameras out there on the sea floor

you never know what might come up

i pulled up a old round crab trap whilst fishing in botany once

A mate pulled up a anchor once.

Edited by johnno

Stumpy it is a magellan meridian GPS (platinum)

with the amount of phones and rods/reels and cameras out there on the sea floor

you never know what might come up

i pulled up a old round crab trap whilst fishing in botany once

A mate pulled up a anchor once.

God i'm just so tecnologicallyy advanced these days! :wacko: