No Fish In Vanuatu

brettm-c

just came back from a week in vanuatu,

went out a couple of times one time for a day game fishing and another reef fishing and both times came up pretty short. picked up one 4-5kg dollie for a whole day of trolling but on 80w's it was just winched in :05: . got a couple of small coral trout and a small sweetlip off the bottom, but that was all, it was so bad over there that the resturants were literally taking fish off the menu, there was just nothing anywhere. I know that fishing moves in cycles and there are always bad days but this was unexplainable.

headed to coolangatta for a week after that,

went out for a bottom bash there it was still slow but did pick up a mixed bag of pearl perch, pig fish and plate sized pinkies, all nice table fish.

so not all was lost,

as soon as i got home i checked in to see the reports on raider, hoping that the kings were still about, glad to see they are, just got a new sounder so going to give it a run in the harbour tomorrow.

tight lines

brett

Edited by brettm-c

we got evacuated from our resort for half a day but there was no wave or anything, the main thing efecting the fish the charter guys said was the water temp pretty low for that time of year over there, 27 degrees.

brett

don't tell me that weasel, it only makes me more jealous!!!

I was really hoping to experience some mind blowing fishing over there.

Dosen't matter i'm already checking the prices for lord howe island! :thumbup:

brett

Sorry you had a bad time fishing.

I just got back from there and I went out with two fellows deep sea fishing.

Lucky, we all caught fish. Blue fin, yellow fin, striped tuna, Mahi Mahi and wahoo.

Not huge fish but great fun.

I will post pics as soon as I sort them out.

Thats unlucky Brett, but it means you've paid your dues hopefully....

My old man just got back from Lord Howe Island. He went out for three trips while he was there - I think with three different operators.

On one trip they caught about 200 kilos worth of kings (that particular operator was interested mostly in supplying the local restaurants), but they weren't massive fish - mostly around the 3 kilo mark.

On another day they caught about 20 fish between 7 and 25 kilos. Most of them were above 15 kilos. I was pretty impressed when I saw the photos to say the least!!

The only disappointing thing he said was the gear - they give you alveys with super-heavy mono and its just an arm wrestle where even on the big ones you don't feel the fight that well so take your own gear and I'm sure you'll have a ball...

March is a good time apparently

Cheers,

Jimmy

Guest Big-Banana

Thats unlucky Brett, but it means you've paid your dues hopefully....

My old man just got back from Lord Howe Island. He went out for three trips while he was there - I think with three different operators.

On one trip they caught about 200 kilos worth of kings (that particular operator was interested mostly in supplying the local restaurants), but they weren't massive fish - mostly around the 3 kilo mark.

On another day they caught about 20 fish between 7 and 25 kilos. Most of them were above 15 kilos. I was pretty impressed when I saw the photos to say the least!!

The only disappointing thing he said was the gear - they give you alveys with super-heavy mono and its just an arm wrestle where even on the big ones you don't feel the fight that well so take your own gear and I'm sure you'll have a ball...

March is a good time apparently

Cheers,

Jimmy

In the process of planning a trip now. Cheers for that. 13k I think bag limit makes it a bit harder though.

Edited by Big-Banana