Hawkesbury 8/04/2007

kw367

Decided to believe my eyes (clear skies) rather than the forecast (frequent showers), and took my 5 year old son PJ out for a session on the Hawkesbury today. As Murphy would have it, the clear skies gave way to a fairly heavy shower as soon as I launched the boat. :ranting2: I ummed and arred about pulling the boat straight out again, but PJ convinced me otherwise by saying "Cmon Dad, you LIKE fishing!" I couldn't argue with that logic, so we set off in the rain.

Got to Bar Point and was greeted by clearing skies and more than the average number of boats anchored there, probably due to reports of "Bream to 1kg at Bar Point" in yesterdays Telegraph. I had planned to venture further, but decided to stop & give it a try. Didn't take long for both PJ and me to hook fish. Problem was they were both Catfish! ( :ranting2: again) Made my usual threat to PJ that if the next fish we caught was another catty we were moving. Luckily PJ soon pulled in his first flounder, followed soon after by his first Jewfish, which we were both pretty excited about, and a Bream of about legal size. All were returned to the water after some happy snaps. Meanwhile, all I'd caught was another catty ( :ranting2: a third time).

Over the next couple of hours, PJ got another Jewfish, Bream and 2 Catfish, and all I got was a glimpse of a crab and a small Port Jackson Shark ( :ranting2: for a fourth time). Once again, all fish were returned.

Anyhoo, it turned out to be a fine/fun day, even if PJ kicked my ass!! :thumbup::yahoo:

post-3557-1176032060_thumb.jpg

post-3557-1176032125_thumb.jpg

post-3557-1176032166_thumb.jpg

G'day mate,

Some great pics of your young fella there with some nice fish... Good on him getting a jewey!!!!! :thumbup:

Don't worry though, my son Andy outfishes me almost every trip - personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. I get just as much satisfaction putting Andy onto fish as I do catching them myself.

He'll remember these times forever, and, so will you.

Cheers,

David.

Don't worry though, my son Andy outfishes me almost every trip - personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. I get just as much satisfaction putting Andy onto fish as I do catching them myself.

He'll remember these times forever, and, so will you.

G'day David,

After I added the post, I had the exact same thoughts! I was very tongue in cheek about being outfished by him! I'm happy playing Deckie for him any day!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

some great pics there, i know what you mean by being out fished , every time i take my wife out she out fishes me,

yeah getting out fished by your son is great.

getting out fished by your son, wife, and everyone else who steps foot on your boat sux

Thanks for all your kind words everyone. :thumbup: It really was a great day once the rain cleared. I was mostly lounging back watching my rod and PJ catching fish. It was warm with little or no wind. Seeing PJ's excitement over catching his first Jew, albeit small, and seeing me catch a Port Jackson Shark (he's a shark fanatic) was priceless! :biggrin2::thumbup:

Good on ya Ken for persevering with the weather and making PJ's day.

So good to see fathers showing their sons fishing and the enjoyment they get..even if he outfished you..

That's all part of the fun I reckon.

That's what rec. fishing is all about...he'll remember that day for the rest of his life probably, as will you.

Great report and pics and thanks for sharing those precious moments.

Cheers,

Pete.

Is it me or the pic,but that Bream looks somehow different

to a normal Bream?

I think it is just the pic, fish is on a bit of an angle. It looked pretty much like a "Breamus Commonus" to me at the time. Here's a better picture of the fish (not so good of PJ!)

post-3557-1176109363_thumb.jpg

Decided to believe my eyes (clear skies) rather than the forecast (frequent showers), and took my 5 year old son PJ out for a session on the Hawkesbury today. As Murphy would have it, the clear skies gave way to a fairly heavy shower as soon as I launched the boat. :ranting2: I ummed and arred about pulling the boat straight out again, but PJ convinced me otherwise by saying "Cmon Dad, you LIKE fishing!" I couldn't argue with that logic, so we set off in the rain.

Got to Bar Point and was greeted by clearing skies and more than the average number of boats anchored there, probably due to reports of "Bream to 1kg at Bar Point" in yesterdays Telegraph. I had planned to venture further, but decided to stop & give it a try. Didn't take long for both PJ and me to hook fish. Problem was they were both Catfish! ( :ranting2: again) Made my usual threat to PJ that if the next fish we caught was another catty we were moving. Luckily PJ soon pulled in his first flounder, followed soon after by his first Jewfish, which we were both pretty excited about, and a Bream of about legal size. All were returned to the water after some happy snaps. Meanwhile, all I'd caught was another catty ( :ranting2: a third time).

Over the next couple of hours, PJ got another Jewfish, Bream and 2 Catfish, and all I got was a glimpse of a crab and a small Port Jackson Shark ( :ranting2: for a fourth time). Once again, all fish were returned.

Anyhoo, it turned out to be a fine/fun day, even if PJ kicked my ass!! :thumbup::yahoo:

post-3557-1176032060_thumb.jpgTHATS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT AH,SEEING THE KIDS HAVE A GOOD TIME. GOOD ON YA. :1fishing1:

post-3557-1176032125_thumb.jpg

post-3557-1176032166_thumb.jpg

Good stuff mate, I remember your last post when you were talking about taking the kid out, good to see you did! :thumbup:

Ive taken my 3 out most of the weekend am about to post a similar report to yours(this time my youngest son screwed me over with a massive flattie!)

We're on the Hawksbury alot so give us a yell next time your out,my kids would have a ball with yours and theres some great beaches around that area for lunch and a cast off the beach!

Checked your profile, why do we get outfished by our kids, probably that we share the same bassick

qualitys in music!!! (In joke that you fishos won't get)

Cheers :thumbup: