Chipping Norton

sambo

Hi just got back from chipping norton with dad which was just testing out the boat with a new prop. So i took rod which had a float on it.

While dad was testing the boat i had bread with me so took a tiny piece of bread put it on the hook and threw the crusts in the water and hell broke out. These monster mullet and were going crazy and my fist cast i hooked on to a nice bream. Second cast with not even a sec later another bream.Gave the rod to my cuz for a fish and he to caught another fish same size as the 2nd bream. By this stage a guy with a massive dog stood near me got me sh*tting it, so i threw alot more bread in the water and these fish went even more crazy.

i threw my line in and a chinamen near me also threw his line if not on my line i touched my float a sec later he was on and boy was this thing fighting but when using a 4500 fishing reel with drag onfull its no fight. So he winched this thing in and it was a nice mullet 30cm :wife: . he grabbed it and put it in his bucket and i lent over and had a look in his bucket and saw lots of mullet but the biggest being aroung 5cm and the smallest 2cm which were caught in a net. At this stage dad was back and as i was leaving some abusive langauge from the guy with the dog got me pissed as i never done anything wrong, i think he got the shits because i didnt touch his dog when he wanted me to touch it lol.Although he was holding a bottle of beer i thought he is not all here so gave him a grin and walked away lol to help my dad.

Its amazing that a session so saml 8-10mins max can make you write so much. By the way all the fish were released as they were all under 5cm.

I have caught mullet,bream,flounder and the odd flathead and jewfish stories and i know these are salt water fish but i have seen carp swimming there and also heard from people and forums that lots of bass is not a usaul encounter all year round.

So it got me thinking is this water more salty or more freshy ?

its actually connected to botany bay. Therefore it is classifed as salt water. However it is well away from the salt water region and so chipping norton is less salty than say botany bay. There is a weir up at liverpool where it seperates salt water and fresh water stream. But i think before they built that weir, the is basses and carps that maybe have lived around on the chipping norton side. So wen the weir got built it got trapped. So since its not as salty it can survive there.

I have caught eels from there also a fish which looks similar to a herring but not sure of it.

A while back when i was there two guys with a long net walk across the beach at hollywood drive and they caught about 20 odd kilo,s of prawns very3 good area for live biat on low tide you can pump out alot of worms from the same beach but they brake up straight away

cheers

Went for a quick SP flick around there today. Hadn't fired up the boat in a few months, so decided to get the hull wet for a bit. Unfortunately nothing was gained and most of all, nothing lost:). Although, there was pleanty of mullet action jumping around. The lakes have really come alive since the last time I was there.

Better luck next time - I say that everytime:)

Cheers,

Pete.

Where abouts where you fishing?

Im pump to get out there and go for a bass session athough i dont no nothing about bass just nice to see what a little lake can produce.

I met a guy on a kayak one time and he said he had caught over 20 bream in that session and i actaully seen him pulling in a few all on HB but as their is too much strucher on the edges of the river from falled trees to rubbish, but also a good holding ground for the bream.

cheers

Guest Aussie007
Where abouts where you fishing?

Im pump to get out there and go for a bass session athough i dont no nothing about bass just nice to see what a little lake can produce.

I met a guy on a kayak one time and he said he had caught over 20 bream in that session and i actaully seen him pulling in a few all on HB but as their is too much strucher on the edges of the river from falled trees to rubbish, but also a good holding ground for the bream.

a friend said he caught around 20 bass with lures under the bridge near the race course

The majority of the fishing was done directly infront of the boat ramp on the lansvale side. Also, there is a Island section, unfamilar with the actual name of it. Between the entrace to the lake from gillawanna and that island produced some depth of 8m+ so also tried there..

cheers,

pete

i went for a cruise up the river to chipping norton a few weeks ago,

we put in a flower power boat ramp and went for a cruise up into the lake, while we weant fishing but we did see some monster mullet jump outa the water and there was some big size fish comming up on the fish comming up on the fish finder

My sounder is always reading large fish, I think I should have spend the extra $50 and gottern a better unit!.. I don't think there would be 'massive' fish in what it reads at 3m of water..lol not if I can see the bottom and not see anything *hits sounder*

I really need to take it off auto and experiment - oh, one day..

cheers

pete.