Bloody Sand Flats

groperman

I was cruising around port hacking yesterday and was facing the sun, couldnt see much...wasnt going too fast, smiles all around the boat, every one enjoying themselves...and then suddenly...i feel the boat slowing down...guess what we're stuck on the sand bar lol lucky i switched off the engine real quick and trimmed it up...just wondering if any sand did get sucked up, would it have caused any damage? cause i gave it a good flush afterwards....cheers guys

Dean

I was cruising around port hacking yesterday and was facing the sun, couldnt see much...wasnt going too fast, smiles all around the boat, every one enjoying themselves...and then suddenly...i feel the boat slowing down...guess what we're stuck on the sand bar lol lucky i switched off the engine real quick and trimmed it up...just wondering if any sand did get sucked up, would it have caused any damage? cause i gave it a good flush afterwards....cheers guys

Dean

Port Hacking is getting ridiculously shallow and as seen in your case and many others getting dangerous and will cause someone some serious vessel damage or injury.

It's been long overdue for a dredge and needs to be done before someone or something gets damaged and somebody gets sued.

yeh they need clearer signs, some areas might not be shallow in high tide but can be on low tide. Not sure if you guys know the area that well but the breaks off bonnevale can be quite dangerous if you dont know the area, and theres no signs for it.

yeh they need clearer signs, some areas might not be shallow in high tide but can be on low tide. Not sure if you guys know the area that well but the breaks off bonnevale can be quite dangerous if you dont know the area, and theres no signs for it.

Theres pretty good channel marks right through the Hacking. Yes it is overdue for a dredge. Yes it is quite shallow in a lot of areas but follow the marks and you will not have too many problems. Bonnevale is well inside these marks.

The alternative is run a 12ft tinney with a short shank 9.9 like I do and all areas of the river are open to you. Of course i understand this isnt for everyone.

Dave

Bonnevale's great for a surf and heaps of fun in the inflatable when it works well!!!!

But most of the time it breaks unexpectidly and waves appear out of nowhere - I have learnt this the hard way!!!

Dangerous to the unsuspecting

i have hit bottom a few times in the hacking, i normally put the boat in at gymea, and while i know pretty much where abouts the shallows are i still cruise at about 15 knots in the open area and when i get to the 8 knot zones i cruise at about 5 knots,