Bawley Point

Mondo Rock

Hi Raiders

A quick report from the long weekend just passed . . .

I headed down to Bawley Point on the South Coast for a weekend of fishing with the family. Weather pattern was crap from Friday to Sunday (as I'm sure you all know) and fishing was tough. Nonetheless a few of our scaly (and slimy) friends hit the frypan and I thought I'd give you all a rundown.

1. Beaches: were NOT fishing well with the 12pm high and southerly wind but we managed to bag five good whiting on live beachworms on Sunday lunchtime. Fished quite a shallow gutter that never really filled up much (was a minor high of only 1.3 metres or something) and had a lot of trouble with the current until we beefed up our sinkers. Once we could hold the bottom the fishing got a bit easier (as before that the bait would only stay in the gutter for about 10 seconds before being washed to the north).

Was fishing with friend who insisted on using prawns and had no luck at all until she changed baits to worms. Other species caught off the beach included small flatties, small salmon and the ever-present dart.

2. Headlands: As always there were tailor hanging of the headlands, but they were a little quiet given the relatively calm surf on the northern side of the headlands (too windy to fish the southern sides). Went through a whole block of pillies (throwing out ganged pillies and slowly retrieving) with a couple of hits but no hookups. Eventually pulled a 50cm model on Sunday evening with a big metal slice after wandering out to the very tip of the headland where the surf was heavier and creating a bit of cover for the fish. Lost the slice on the next cast and spent about 20 minutes fruitlessly running down to the water's edge in-between waves to try and locate it. Too dangerous, and the lure was goneski.

3. Bays/coves: chucked a heap of jigs around for no luck, until Sunday evening when I managed a 30cm calamari right on dusk. Couldn't tempt any friends. I was a bit surprised as the tide was dead low (I usually get squid on the high) but wasn't complaining as it was well overdue. I reckon the southerly was turning them off - best squid days for me are the dead calm glassy water days.

Will post pics as they are emailed through - but nothing terribly exciting.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!

Hi Mondo

I was at Bawley on the weekend as well

Put the boat in at 630 at the ramp seas were slight to rough but to rough to get to the wide reefs

headed north past the island to the flatty grounds not much luck there either managed a couple of flatties

Red rock cod and more RAS, Ras and More Ras

about lunch time a good 30nt southerly kiked in so headed back to the ramp a trip that would normaly take 15-20 min took over an hour and some of the waves south of the island were huge (a good test of my seamanship I can assure you)

Sunday was a better day again at the ramp about 6 headed south for the wide reef for NADA decided to come in a bit closer to a reef off Joes rock And baged some nice fish landed 6 snaper to 2kg and 2 of the largest pig fish i heve ever caught in this area. also a 30cm Brim (Think he must have been lost) and a couple of large Red rock cod Oh and RAS RAS and MORE Bl###dy RAS

All in all not the most productive weekend I have had at Bawley But productive non the less.

Headed home sunday arvo

Should have stayed the extra day as the weather monday was much better.

But thats fishing

Regards SPARKY

Hi Raiders

A quick report from the long weekend just passed . . .

I headed down to Bawley Point on the South Coast for a weekend of fishing with the family. Weather pattern was crap from Friday to Sunday (as I'm sure you all know) and fishing was tough. Nonetheless a few of our scaly (and slimy) friends hit the frypan and I thought I'd give you all a rundown.

1. Beaches: were NOT fishing well with the 12pm high and southerly wind but we managed to bag five good whiting on live beachworms on Sunday lunchtime. Fished quite a shallow gutter that never really filled up much (was a minor high of only 1.3 metres or something) and had a lot of trouble with the current until we beefed up our sinkers. Once we could hold the bottom the fishing got a bit easier (as before that the bait would only stay in the gutter for about 10 seconds before being washed to the north).

Was fishing with friend who insisted on using prawns and had no luck at all until she changed baits to worms. Other species caught off the beach included small flatties, small salmon and the ever-present dart.

2. Headlands: As always there were tailor hanging of the headlands, but they were a little quiet given the relatively calm surf on the northern side of the headlands (too windy to fish the southern sides). Went through a whole block of pillies (throwing out ganged pillies and slowly retrieving) with a couple of hits but no hookups. Eventually pulled a 50cm model on Sunday evening with a big metal slice after wandering out to the very tip of the headland where the surf was heavier and creating a bit of cover for the fish. Lost the slice on the next cast and spent about 20 minutes fruitlessly running down to the water's edge in-between waves to try and locate it. Too dangerous, and the lure was goneski.

3. Bays/coves: chucked a heap of jigs around for no luck, until Sunday evening when I managed a 30cm calamari right on dusk. Couldn't tempt any friends. I was a bit surprised as the tide was dead low (I usually get squid on the high) but wasn't complaining as it was well overdue. I reckon the southerly was turning them off - best squid days for me are the dead calm glassy water days.

Will post pics as they are emailed through - but nothing terribly exciting.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!

Sounds like you landed a few good fish, mate. I'm sure that fishing wasn't the only thing on your agenda (good weather for relaxing :) ) so to catch a good feed is a nice bonus to being on holidays. Looking forward to seeing pics of the nice squid.

Flattieman.