Albright Vs Double Uni

kbark

Here's a follow up quesion from my recent pittwater report. My albright knot snapped with a kingy 10ft from the boat. I had 11 turns of the 15lb braid around 15lb seaguar fluorocarbon.

Do I need to tie a double in the braid before tying the albright. (I do this for 30lb braid to 50lb leader). If so, in what line weight is this necessary?

Should I just stick to the double uni? (I have never had one of these fail)

Cheers,

Kit

Edited by kbark

I have abondoned the uni and albright in favour of the 5 turn surgeons knot which up to this stage has been fantastic :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Stewy showed me this knot yesterday and it is very strong and easy to tie. :thumbup:

I have abondoned the uni and albright in favour of the 5 turn surgeons knot which up to this stage has been fantastic :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Stewy, would you recommend the surgeons on heavy gear...say 80lb braid to 50 pound mono???

Edited by netic

I've just had a Double-Uni fail on me today, luckily it was testing the drag and not during a cast like has happened in past times and has cost me about 20 bucks worth of lures :ranting2:

I like the 8 turn Albright knot, very strong indeed :biggrin2:

I use 30lb braid on my main lines and 60 to 80lb jinkai leaders. I tie a double in the braid and then use the double to tie a double uni with the leader. 8 wraps for the doubled braid, and 4 wraps for the heavy leader. Never failed me.

I use a swivel in the system now and tie a uni from the doubled braid main line to a ball bearing swivel, and then a uni to the swivel from the leader. works a treat. I even use a uni to the hoodlum hooks I use.

The only problems I have encountered is with over 1 year old berkley fireline in 30lbs. It's snaps above the double if a quick but small shock is put on the line from a fish. Solved the brittle line problem by using Platypus super braid. Never had a problem with this line.

good luck.

Kingy

I use 30lb braid on my main lines and 60 to 80lb jinkai leaders. I tie a double in the braid and then use the double to tie a double uni with the leader. 8 wraps for the doubled braid, and 4 wraps for the heavy leader. Never failed me.

I use a swivel in the system now and tie a uni from the doubled braid main line to a ball bearing swivel, and then a uni to the swivel from the leader. works a treat. I even use a uni to the hoodlum hooks I use.

The only problems I have encountered is with over 1 year old berkley fireline in 30lbs. It's snaps above the double if a quick but small shock is put on the line from a fish. Solved the brittle line problem by using Platypus super braid. Never had a problem with this line.

good luck.

Kingy

thanks Kingy...you tie the braid straight to the swivel with an 8 wrap uni?

thanks Kingy...you tie the braid straight to the swivel with an 8 wrap uni?

Yeah, I tie the braid straight to the swivel, however the braid has been doubled with either a bimini or a spider hitch. I've heard not to trust spider hitches, but they are so easy/quick to tie I can't not use them. I haven't had one fail me yet (maybe a 1.2m kingy will fully test it one day).

I use only about 6 wraps in the uni if the braid has been doubled, seems not to need the extra wraps when doubled. I also re-tie all my main line doubles and uni's every other trip.

Kingy

Yeah, I tie the braid straight to the swivel, however the braid has been doubled with either a bimini or a spider hitch. I've heard not to trust spider hitches, but they are so easy/quick to tie I can't not use them. I haven't had one fail me yet (maybe a 1.2m kingy will fully test it one day).

I use only about 6 wraps in the uni if the braid has been doubled, seems not to need the extra wraps when doubled. I also re-tie all my main line doubles and uni's every other trip.

Kingy

cheers Kingy