Rival Idiot

humesy

Hit Flint and Steel and Juno, armed with 6 lovely large squid and a big mullet on a lovely new moon evening. Nice flat water for a change too.

Anchored at Flint and Steel for half the run in tide for a slow 2 hours. Sent a live chopper down along with squid strips and heads. Had enough after a while after zero action (except for an eel which I mistook to be a large flatty :thumbdown: ) . Pulle up the chopper and wouldn't you know it, he is peppered with jewie teeth marks but still kicking. :mad3: Sent baits straight back down to no avail.

On to Juno and out go the baits. Had regular pickings from tailor when finally I get a bend in the rod. Its a 2ft hammerhead which then procedes to do a lap around the back of the boat, thereby tangling 4 line in one go. :mad3::mad3: . Only solution was to cut all 4 lines to get rid of the mess. I did manage to salvage most of the gear but there was a large ball of hopelessly tangled mixed braid at the end of it all. The next 20 minutes were spent re-rigging. Just on the top of the tide, another hit. This is more promising says I and there are onlookers who are getting excited for me. "Settle down" says I, "Its one of those nights". The result 1 dirty big, evil looking pike eel. Damn thing must have been 2m long! Considering my boat is only a tad over 3m, this horrible sucker wasn't coming close so another line was cut.

It was prime time. Another squid gets a big hit which I took to be tailor. Pulled it up to check and found half a squid, crawling with sea lice. What a horror show! Last two squids go out and in 15 minutes had been eaten away completely!!

What a shocker! To cap it all off, the next thing I hear is hootin' and a hollerin' and the cry of "its a jewie!" from the neighbouring boat. It was only a wee tacker but the boys were stoked.

I packed up in disgust and at least got home for a decent nights sleep.

One question for any Hawkesbury experts who might like to help a keen up and comer. Was I fishing the wrong night/spot for a 1.9m tide. The current ran hard at both spots all night, bar about 20 minutes at the change of tide. There were some lovely eddies around which I thought would contain jewies but they didn't.

Cheers all.

Humesy - this is just a theory, and I have zero experience catching jewfish (despite a great appetite to do so), but it makes sense to me.

Jewies are notorious for being lazy, and are rumoured to actively feed only at times of slack tide when they can easily roam an area looking for food. As I understand it, when the tide is running hard they can still be caught, but only if the bait is pretty much dropped right on their nose (this requires the angler to have a VERY detailed knowledge of the system such that jewie 'holding' spots are already marked and can be fished during the run). Otherwise, times of strong tidal run will be unproductive times to fish for these unsavoury characters.

As such, I would guess that during periods of king tides the window in which jewies can roam and feed is significantly reduced. I'm thinking that because so much water moves in and out the 'slack' portion of the tide is very short.

On neap tides, however, there is a lot less water moving around and the 'slack' periods should be much longer. This leads me to believe that jewies will be a better prospect around neap tides, and even then you will do better if you can fish the minor tide changes. I'm therefore keeping my calender marked around neap tides that coincide with a new or full moon phase.

This is complete and total speculation Humesy, as I haven't ever caught a jewie, but I can assure you that there are few fishermen out there who devour every details of jewie reports/videos/articles with as much enthusiasm as I do.

Humesy - this is just a theory, and I have zero experience catching jewfish (despite a great appetite to do so), but it makes sense to me.

Jewies are notorious for being lazy, and are rumoured to actively feed only at times of slack tide when they can easily roam an area looking for food. As I understand it, when the tide is running hard they can still be caught, but only if the bait is pretty much dropped right on their nose (this requires the angler to have a VERY detailed knowledge of the system such that jewie 'holding' spots are already marked and can be fished during the run). Otherwise, times of strong tidal run will be unproductive times to fish for these unsavoury characters.

As such, I would guess that during periods of king tides the window in which jewies can roam and feed is significantly reduced. I'm thinking that because so much water moves in and out the 'slack' portion of the tide is very short.

On neap tides, however, there is a lot less water moving around and the 'slack' periods should be much longer. This leads me to believe that jewies will be a better prospect around neap tides, and even then you will do better if you can fish the minor tide changes. I'm therefore keeping my calender marked around neap tides that coincide with a new or full moon phase.

This is complete and total speculation Humesy, as I haven't ever caught a jewie, but I can assure you that there are few fishermen out there who devour every details of jewie reports/videos/articles with as much enthusiasm as I do.

Hey Mondo,

This was exactly my theory. I guess i am hoping for confirmation/correction from someone who fishes the area regularly.

I like your scientific attitude. I have been much like yourself these past 2 years. Pouring over every article i can get my hands on.

Best of luck with your quest. I am sure we will hear all about it when you bag the first one. I am sure all your homework and leg work will pay off soon.

hey mondo i love your theory

is there a website where you can find out what the currents a doing or is there a way you can find out without being on the water :biggrin2:

Edited by frankp

Frank - just look up any of the sites that give you tide times and dates and look for the days where there is little variation between high and low tide. These will be the tides where the 'run' is at its weakest.

Don't hold me to account though if my theory turns out to be completely wrong!!!

Oh - and don't forget that this theory only really makes sense in respect of estuary/river fishing for jewies (and even then only in the areas where there is significant tidal flow).

Beach or offshore jewie fishing could well be a different story (I'm pretty sure that beach fishing IS a different story).

Trust me - its not a rivalry either one of us wants to win! :biggrin2:

Its good to know Flint and Steel wasn't doing much either though.

And I definitely like Mondo's theory. Me and my mate are defintitely into to good theories. Our only problem is translating them to landed fish.

cheers

Mysterythecat

Interesting theories guys! THis is just my humble opinion but I have caught more jewies from a moving boat than a stationary one..also true for kings. Caught more during the day than at night. Got a good sounder and it helps. Jews show up very clearly due to their air bladder. Can see where they hang out pretty easily with a good sounder.

For most areas I prefer the last of the high and the first hour of the run out then quit fishing for them until the next tide change. Squid has been the most effective bait for me. Even scored a few on the downrigger recently so they are out there to be caught! CHeers Kelvin

Humsey

Jewfish theories...heres my 5c worth.

1. I reckon pick a renowned spot and get to know it well in all the different conditions. Tide / moon / wind / how to anchor / where the eddies goto and come from / Day and Night

ie Juno - Some blokes ( who regularly catch bigguns ) insist it is a run in spot and others will tell you run out is the best. Therefore see what works for you.

2. Make sure your tackle can handle the big one when it comes along (and it will) ... I have learned the very hard way!!!!!!! From your hooks to your gaf and everything in between.

3. Spend the time getting and learning how to catch good quality bait. These work for me - Squid / Mullet / Yakka / Slimeys / Pike / Biddies / Tailor / Worms / Pillies

4. Use a mixture of live and dead bait. ie some rods have livies some have dead baits.

5. As Namesay says If you have a really good sounder it will help you find the fish and the spots they live in.

6. I agree with Namesay the last of the run in and the first of the run out is mostly the best time BUT I have caught at other times of the tide when I least expected it most.

7. Don't be shy to ask the "Gurus" - when they know you are serious they will help you a lot.

8. Keep your rigs as simple as possible.

9. Some say there are "jewie highways" and if you are set up and sitting on them a fish will come by sooner or later.

10. Some say Alpha fish hang in the Alpha spots and each of the residet fish has a "home". Now if you can find one of these spot your chances are greatly improved.

11. Be carefull Jewfishing is very addictive!!!

12. You may not catch a jewie all the time but you will be very surprised what else you will catch.

13. Keep on tryin

cheers

inhlanzi

Interesting theories guys! THis is just my humble opinion but I have caught more jewies from a moving boat than a stationary one..also true for kings. Caught more during the day than at night. Got a good sounder and it helps. Jews show up very clearly due to their air bladder. Can see where they hang out pretty easily with a good sounder.

For most areas I prefer the last of the high and the first hour of the run out then quit fishing for them until the next tide change. Squid has been the most effective bait for me. Even scored a few on the downrigger recently so they are out there to be caught! CHeers Kelvin

Hey mate,

How much moula would you need to spend for a sounder capable of identifying Jewies by their swim bladder?

Roughly speaking of course.

Cheers

Humsey

Jewfish theories...heres my 5c worth.

1. I reckon pick a renowned spot and get to know it well in all the different conditions. Tide / moon / wind / how to anchor / where the eddies goto and come from / Day and Night

ie Juno - Some blokes ( who regularly catch bigguns ) insist it is a run in spot and others will tell you run out is the best. Therefore see what works for you.

2. Make sure your tackle can handle the big one when it comes along (and it will) ... I have learned the very hard way!!!!!!! From your hooks to your gaf and everything in between.

3. Spend the time getting and learning how to catch good quality bait. These work for me - Squid / Mullet / Yakka / Slimeys / Pike / Biddies / Tailor / Worms / Pillies

4. Use a mixture of live and dead bait. ie some rods have livies some have dead baits.

5. As Namesay says If you have a really good sounder it will help you find the fish and the spots they live in.

6. I agree with Namesay the last of the run in and the first of the run out is mostly the best time BUT I have caught at other times of the tide when I least expected it most.

7. Don't be shy to ask the "Gurus" - when they know you are serious they will help you a lot.

8. Keep your rigs as simple as possible.

9. Some say there are "jewie highways" and if you are set up and sitting on them a fish will come by sooner or later.

10. Some say Alpha fish hang in the Alpha spots and each of the residet fish has a "home". Now if you can find one of these spot your chances are greatly improved.

11. Be carefull Jewfishing is very addictive!!!

12. You may not catch a jewie all the time but you will be very surprised what else you will catch.

13. Keep on tryin

cheers

inhlanzi

howdy,

I am down with all this info and in my opinion its at least $4.00 worth (the price of a :beersmile: ), not 5c.

Interesting theories about the highways and the alpha fish. Would be keen to find out more from the UNSW crew who have been studying their movements.

As for the addiction, I have got it bad. Coming up to six nights in a row. (two on holidays so they don't really count). I knew I took up teaching for a reason. Lucky my Mrs. is the understanding type and I have been providing in the fresh fish department. Just not of the jewie variety.