Burrendong 18-4-07

Mik

Burrendong – 18-4-07

Loads of algae on the surface today. Haven’t seen it so thick before. Didn’t seem to bother our fish much as we caught most under a green slime of algae.

Water level – 2.6%

Weather – Blue skies (About 26 degrees I guess)

Nipped out to the dam today after having Fanta Pants motor repaired. It turned out to be exactly what Ross (Flightmanager) thought it might be, shot power pack. New one installed & second-hand one in toolbox as spare now. Its all good as it was a bargain for the price.

Anyway, naturally I was getting toey to try her out again, just in case I go rusty.

After a late start, should have been earlier but work intervened. Packed Fionn (3 ½ yo son, “Little-Boof”) into the ute & grabbed the sanga’s from the gorgeous, adorable & totally fishing supportive wifey (God I’m a lucky man!) & headed off, Arrived at the ramp at about 11:30 am. There were a few other AWOL from work & about 6 trailers vacant in the lot.

Zoomed out past all the “in close” tinnies & headed to my favourite place. About 5 clicks up river on the Cudgegong. After ensuring Little -Boof had his fair share of the snakes, pineapple jellies & “lennonaid” I setup the first line & cast in my trusty Poltergeist pink & black HB. I intended to cast out & get her in position to start trolling but before I even finished swimming her into position (Motor not even running yet!) BANG!

I’m on!

Whooo! “This is gonna be a good day Little -Boof”

Pulled in a nice 40cm 1.8Kg Yella & grinned as Little –Boof asks me “Good fish Daddy, you gonna keep its?

“Yup, beer battered Fish & Chips tonight mate!”

“Yummy Dad”

Trolled for about another 20 mins & got hit again. Watto’s little Rod was paying for herself & my old Penn reel got a work out on this fish. Fought hard & almost had me when he decided to leap 3 times right at the boat. At one stage he got about 2 body lengths out of the water & Little –Boof squealed with delight when he finally came aboard.

“Wow Daddy, you gonna keep its too?

“Nah mate, too big (48cm & 2.5Kg) he’s gonna swim happy again”

Things went a little quiet for about an hour so Little –Boof & I stopped in amongst a nice shady stand of trees to have some lunch. After Jellies, Chips & Coke (We always eat health food on our fishing trips) we headed back downstream & ran against two walls that have yet to fail me. Sure enough 10 mins in & we’re getting the landing net ready. I gave the rod to Little –Boof & he wound her in like a pro, I held the rod a bit but he did most of it himself & got her right to the boat. He practically threw the rod into the water when she came aboard in his excitement. “I touch him Daddy?” came the plea. “Sure mate, just pat his tail ok”

Flip-Flop-Squeal-Giggle-Flop-Flip-Giggle

Another nice 40cm model goes in the Chiller.

“We have enough for a feed now mate, its all pure pleasure now!”

“I think we’re lost Daddy!”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I’ll get some Jellies ok”

The things kids use as an excuse crack me up.

The rest of the day saw another 2 fish landed, both going 45cm & 46cm. All fish caught were on the same lure at about 4-5 metres depth water.

Back at the ramp by 5:30 & home by 6:30. Beer battered dinner in tummies & very scrumptious.

Little-Boof 1

post-3284-1176899082_thumb.jpg

Little-Boof 2

post-3284-1176899104_thumb.jpg

Little-Boof 3

post-3284-1176899117_thumb.jpg

Our Haul

post-3284-1176899129_thumb.jpg

Cheers all.

Nice report there Boof

Good to see your fan club enjoy the day

kids are so much fun at that age :1prop:

good to see it was an easy fix on Fanta Pants

and the fishing gods are still smiling for you

Do you reckon the :wife: has an motive for

packing you off fishing or is she just that good

remember she may read this post :074:

Chris

i see the water levels still drastically low hope she picks up threw winter!

Yeah, we could do with some rain again soon. Nice little drop last month then bugga all. Heard a radio report on the way to the Dam today that people are starting to worry about the levels for this year, could be drastic results if they don't come up soon for irrigators & wildlife marshes downstream.

Do you reckon the has an motive for

packing you off fishing or is she just that good

remember she may read this post

Def a motive Chris, she got a days rest with the other fella "Mini-Boof" (6 mnths old) they slept all arvo LOL.

But of course (Glancing over shoulder) she is & always has been such a truly wonderful supporter of my fishing trips. It the soft Irish heart that oozes kindness & compassion for all others......(Coasts clear) actually I think she's glad to see the back end of me sometimes :biggrin2::biggrin2:

I know I would be if I were her :074::074:

G'day Boof ,

Great to see you got the boat running again , shame we didnt have a spare on Easter Sunday !!

Absolutely loved the report , and was pleased to hear Little Boof gettin ginto the action as well !!

As for Mrs Boofhead , as well as everything that you mentioned , she is a charming and attractive young lady !!

( When did you say we were going fishing again??? :074: )

Ross

As for Mrs Boofhead , as well as everything that you mentioned , she is a charming and attractive young lady !!

( When did you say we were going fishing again??? :074: )

Ross

:074:

If this keeps up mate I'll be going again tomorrow :074::074::074:

great to see the youngster is alot better than last time i saw him..

how good are those lipper grippers :074:

great work mate

Grippers are rippers Sean! Little man even said "Cool" when I showed them to him after releasing a fish :074:

Nice catch of yella bellys Boof,and that lil Boof looks pleased :thumbup:

penguin

Thanks mate, I don't think an hour with his 6 month old brother in a screaming frenzy could have wiped the grin oof his head. He loved being in the boat up beside Dad.

good effort mate, that second pic should be framed! He'll look at that in 10yrs time and say

"remember that dad when the dam had lots of water" :biggrin2:

Done & dusted, up ther with a few other "Pride of place piccies 1975! :biggrin2:

Heh Mik top report there mate your young bloke sure looks happy is that the lollies or the fish, dont worry it still works even up to 14 at least on my boys.

There nice size fish to, I like yellowbelly as long all that fat is trimed off "yuck"

I like the choice of words about the :wife: as well I might use them in my next report.

Jee If the water level gets any lower take a chamois and throw it in the water before you go fishing and pick the fish up off the bottom then squeeze it out to fill it up.

Heh Mik top report there mate your young bloke sure looks happy is that the lollies or the fish, dont worry it still works even up to 14 at least on my boys.

There nice size fish to, I like yellowbelly as long all that fat is trimed off "yuck"

I like the choice of words about the :wife: as well I might use them in my next report.

Jee If the water level gets any lower take a chamois and throw it in the water before you go fishing and pick the fish up off the bottom then squeeze it out to fill it up.

Thanks Mark

Dunno if it was the lollies or the fish but I like to think it was simply spending quality time with dad that put a smile like a rip in a wet paper bag on his head :biggrin2:

Agree with the fat issue, we throw anything back that's over 2Kg. Most of these were about 1.5kg so the fat strips are very easy to remove when filleting, they run just along the back & peel off by simply scraping away from the flesh section. If they get over 2Kg the fat seems to appear in the actual flesh as a marble effect. Then its almost impossible to get it all out without losing heaps of flesh.

The chamois idea sounds great, Little Boof would prolly want to use Sponge Bob Square Pants though! :074:

Great report and it's the best time out when you can take the little one fishing with you. Sound as if it was smiles all round. Top pics.

I just came back form out that way as I took the kids to Dubbo and Wellington for a holiday. We had a look at the Lake as we were told it had a capacity of 3 times Sydney Harbour and was at 2% now. I wish we had time and a tinne with us to try our hand at fishing it, however it was just atourist look see.

Its got to be the longest boat ramp in the world to get to the waters edge. Great place for a holiday.

Cheers