Botany Bay (kurnell) - 14-4-07

Cid

A couple of us yakkers ventured out for a few hours early sunday morning but even though the weather was good, the fish were absent apart from one 50cm bonito that Davey landed early in the day. We tried the washes with SP's and metals, trolled an assortment of lures and even kept an eye on the rock fishos just in case they started to pull in a few fish. No joy for them either!

I'll let the pictures do the talking...

post-680-1176960147_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Cid

G'day Penguin,

That last shot is a bit deceptive. It was taken with a long lens and it's compressed the background a bit. Those waves are actually about 15-20 meters behind me.

cheers,

Cid

Hi Cid

Any advice for setting up a yak? I'm contemplating one for estuary and river fishing, chasing bream and maybe some bass. I like the idea of being able to go for a quick flick without having to pull the boat out and more importantly the 40 odd minutes to put the boat away...

Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg,

Below is my baby! :thumbup: And I've added a few of the fish I've caught from her. :biggrin2: She's a Hobie Sportsfisherman and although not cheap (about 2 grand), she's an exceptional fishing platform. Last year I competed in the Ausbream Socials and took out AOY, so for breamin' and bassin' they're ideal.

I've installed a FF (Eagle Cuda 168) and the transducer is siliconed to the inside of the hull. On the back I have a 25 litre livewell that is great for livebait and will even hold a few bream or bass for a few hours until weigh-in. I have a $20 aerator that keeps the fish in good nick. On hot days I'll refresh the water every 30-40 minutes, too.

The Hobie Sports aren't the quickest yaks around but they are super stable. I've had mine outside of Botany Bay heads with a good 2 meter swell and a lot of chop and she handled it a treat. Always wear a PFD though. The mirage drive keeps my hands free and is invaluable for fishing structure in the wind and tide as I can slowly pedal and remain in one position while I keep casting.

I can be sitting at home and think 'Why don't I go for a fish?' and 20 minutes later I'm out on Oyster Bay. Clean up is a quick hose down and that's it. Nice and simple.

cheers,

Cid

post-680-1177052501_thumb.jpg post-680-1177052519_thumb.jpg

post-680-1177052807_thumb.jpg post-680-1177052824_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Cid. I've been watching a couple of yaks on ebay, and I'm very tempted. Have you heard much about the Viking yaks? They don't seem to have the mirage drive (or similar), but appear to be compatible with a foot steer leccy.

I fished a couple of the ausbream socials late last year and saw some of your catches. The yak doesn't seem to hold you back! Like I said, i like the idea of being able to head off for a quick flick without too many strings attached (read cleanup).

Cheers, Greg