Parra/harbour 17/4

gerg

Tuesday, decided to go chase some bream on my home ground, being the Parra and Harbour. Since Christmas, I have spent a lot of time spinning the flats with hardbodies with great success. Launched at Drummoyne at 8.30am and motored 100m across Five Dock Bay to the flats. Landed about 7 flatties in quick succession on hardbodies. Only 2 went size, one a tad over 45cm and the other about 55cm. No Bream.

post-1674-1176976293_thumb.jpg

Made a move over to a rock wall that had a large drop off from about half meter into 4m, another flatty about 45 cm in quick time, again on hardbody. About 5th cast with my current favourite lure (SX40 in Bluegill), got smashed on the dropoff by this guy

post-1674-1176976345_thumb.jpg

Headed to Iron cove to the flats again. This area has produced really well for me over the last few months, but has been fished really hard with all the comps in the harbour this year. I could only manage a couple of bream around the 25cm mark before deciding to move on.

Moved over to Elizabeth bay for my last stop before heading home. Threw a soft plastic for the first time since early January. Tied on a berkley fry in lime tiger and flicked it under the first boat hull. It dropped for about 2 seconds, got smashed by a big fish that took about 20m of line and absolutely smoked me. I landed another couple of flatties, a gazillion pesky chopper tailor and another small bream about 29cm. All fish released.

Cheers, Greg

Edited by gerg

Great stuff there. I haven't been on the Parra once this year - I've been Bass'n instead mostly but geez I miss it seeing your report.

Must get back for a session soon - thanks for that.

Cheers

David.

Hi David, Parra's been fishing well this year. I see you've sold your boat, so yell out if you want to go for a fish sometime.

Cheers, Greg

Hi David, Parra's been fishing well this year. I see you've sold your boat, so yell out if you want to go for a fish sometime.

Cheers, Greg

Greg that's mighty generous of you mate :thumbup: Thanks very much.

Always happy to tag along and learn a new trick or two. The new house is going to be filling most of my time for a little while but I'll keep your offer in mind and PM you.

I love fishing this time of year :biggrin2:

Thanks again.

Cheers

David.

Great report there Greg. Looks like you have your turf and the surrounding area worked out.

As a newbie to HBs, what colour code is the SX40 you were using and what sort of retrieve method works well?

good effort on the flaties mate, i usually only pick them up between 30-40cm mark. what do ya reckon busted ya at the hull? kingie?

billy

Hi Billy,

I'm pretty certain that I got busted off by a good size bream under the boat, but I didn't even get a look at it so that's an educated guess.

Great report there Greg. Looks like you have your turf and the surrounding area worked out.

As a newbie to HBs, what colour code is the SX40 you were using and what sort of retrieve method works well?

Hey Pmak. I'm no expert, just spent a bit of time on the water this year. I fished a few tournament series as well wher I learnt a lot from a few guys that know a lot more than me...

regarding the retrieve, on the flats I tend to resort to a relatively brisk roll. A few weeks ago, you'd get nailed on just about every other cast. I've noticed the water temps have dropped a few degrees in the last couple of weeks and the fish don't seem to be quite as aggressive. As a result I've slowed it down to a slow roll to the point where I can only just feel the action of the lure. However, being a creature of habit, I do find myself reverting to the quicker retrieve fairly regularly. Around structure, I tend to give the lure a fair bit more action, with some pauses. My advice is to mix it up and see what works on the day. Hope that helps. Oh and bluegill is 343. Tony at Fishfinder has them in stock...

Cheers, Greg

Edited by gerg