What Does This Do?

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Hey all, I have a couple Penn 8500SS reels which are a great little reel. But have always wondered what the little switch under the spool does? Iam totally confused by it and looks to have no function. Does anyone have the same reel or know what it does? Any help would be much appreciated! :biggrin2:

BB -

I was looking at the Penn site last week for the 7500ss and the exploded view shows a "silent dog lever" under the spool. My guess is this turns the "clicker" on or off. Though does not explain why yours don't seem do do anything. Maybe you either have a part missing (unlikely on two reels) or this is some sort of option allowed for when casting or machining the reel but not completely fitted. Have a 5600 Liveliner I use for Kingfish but was looking at 7500 / 8500 to put on a beach rod. Are you happy with yours ? (mystery parts aside)

Penn site http://www.pennreels.com/Current%20Exp/7500.pdf

John

Guest Big-Banana

Yeah it seems to have no function. But Iam ver happy with mine except for corrosion occuring around the handle on both. Both have been maintained, washed and Inoxed but it seeped past the seals. Still a great reel.

That little lever is for the "clicker". Quite an annoying sound in my opinion. Penn Spinfishers are a great reel but they do get quite a lot of corrosion build up hidden under their rotor. Take your rotor off and you'll see what i mean. It will explain why your clicker is not working.

Edited by Alltalk