My Favorite Surface Lures

The Iceman

post-62-1177237687_thumb.jpg

These are my favorite surface lures for when the bream are chasing prawns

The top one is a surecatch popper and the bottom two are ecogear grass minnows size M colour 119 okiami rigged in the two succesfull ways though I tend to use the one rigged on the resin head with the little knob cut off the front of the sp

I also use buggipops early in the cicada season and the bigger thong thing later in the season These are used under trees when the cicadas are singing

Yes i have heard good things about the surecatch poppers

Here are my current favs

post-2475-1177291637_thumb.jpg

Colours B (Back in Black) and E for Bream. These have worked for me, obviously the black fellow gets a run in low light conditions

post-2475-1177291653_thumb.jpg

And Bass just love these Buggis in C and my fav D, just a twich and Bass jump all over them :thumbup:

I recon they would also work on Bream when the cicadas are hatching, have not yet tried them though

I'm turning into a surface junkie i recon

BM

Yes i have heard good things about the surecatch poppers

Here are my current favs

post-2475-1177291637_thumb.jpg

Colours B (Back in Black) and E for Bream. These have worked for me, obviously the black fellow gets a run in low light conditions

they're not the surecatch poppers are they? look a bit different.. :wacko:

nonetheless they look good!

Edited by Davy

squidgy bugs on a resin head or right angle jig hook with no weight have gotton me alot of strikes buy i find they have a poor hook up rate... i just got 6 extremely nice poppers from ebay very cheap and they seem to be very good quality and have almost the exact same paint job as the surecatch and a couple of the river2sea lures. They worked out nearly $2 a lure and they came with treble guards... just search bream poppers or something, if anyone wants the info just pm me and i'l look back to find the info...

squidgy bugs on a resin head or right angle jig hook with no weight have gotton me alot of strikes buy i find they have a poor hook up rate... i just got 6 extremely nice poppers from ebay very cheap and they seem to be very good quality and have almost the exact same paint job as the surecatch and a couple of the river2sea lures. They worked out nearly $2 a lure and they came with treble guards... just search bream poppers or something, if anyone wants the info just pm me and i'l look back to find the info...

Hey dicko. I think I got the same ones as you but I got 8 of them, 50 mm lures. Bloody beautiful looking poppers with great paint jobs on them, although the trebles probably need to be replaced. But then for around $2 each who's cares?

Gave them a go over the weekend and although their action looked like they'd get swallowed in an instant, there were no takers :( . Don't think there were any bream at the time as my other lures didn't score either. There's always next time.

On the topic though, I recently purchased a tiemco trick trout pencil to do some "walking the dog" style retrieve that I read about somewhere. What is that exactly? Is it just a slow retrieve or small little lifts of the rod? I gave the tt pencil a go the other day and with the small lifts, the lure would do little swirly dances on the surface. Fun to watch but unfortunately, no takers. Maybe no bream either?

stylo-- yeah i just went and counted and there were eight so it must have been the same guy! I like the look of that completely white one! as for the walking the dog style retrieve, we were using that on the barra's up in NT... Basically we'd cast out and point the rod down at the water and give between 2-4 evenly timed quick sharp little jerks. Its suprising how realistic it looked! Doing it that way makes it swim remarably like a bait fish feeding/injured on the surface.